Staff Technical Program Manager
- Palo Alto, CA
Are you passionate about getting things done and continually improving processes? Can you juggle a thousand details while keeping sight of strategic goals? When tense situations arise do you remain calm, cool, and collected? If you answered yes to these questions, then a career with VMware might be for you.
The Program Management Office in the Networking & Security Business Unit of VMware Inc. is looking for a Staff Program manager to primarily support large/complex programs across multiple teams and business units.
Our team works to promote a culture of agility, operational rigor, visibility, accountability, and data-informed decisions. We are responsible for leading cross-functional teams to execute the product roadmap. In addition, we partner with BU leadership to drive transformation that results in greater organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
The candidate will report to the Director of the PMO, who is chartered to deliver a comprehensive execution plans, cadence and governance of all such programs and execution as relating to the overall strategy of the Networking & Security Business Unit.
- Own the success of key Software releases at VMware NSX. Be the credible and trusted leader to deliver these SW releases to customers on plan and with high quality
- Drive the planning and execution of programs from concept to GA. Lead a delivery team of Product Managers, Engineering, QE and other functional teams to deliver throughout all the release phases.
- Build and run, with the team, the program master plan (schedule, dependencies, risks, etc.). Use your technical background and product knowledge to proactively identify risks, issues and drive their resolution.
- Be the expert on release life cycle processes and champion process best practices, metrics and high quality standards with your delivery team
- Independently and accurately report on the state of your programs to executive stakeholders. Be the trusted speaker on the state of programs in key checkpoint reviews
- Take your program deliverables Live after driving legal compliance and launch activities.
- Coach other Program Managers to maintain consistently high standards of communication, productivity and teamwork across all Program Managers
- Degree in Computer Science, Business, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- 10 + years of experience running software engineering and project/program development management especially in Datacenter Networking, L2/L3 Routing/Switching, L4-L7 Load Balancers.
- Practical experience program-managing Software-As-a-Service products and cloud-based services. Solid knowledge in cloud technologies and DevOps practices
- Experienced in software development and project/program management fundamentals (software development life cycle and quality processes, such as scoping, costs, schedules, deliverables, change and risk management, and mitigation)
- Excellent oral/written communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills. Outstanding organizational, prioritization, and multitasking skills
- Exceptional skills influencing, teaming, and delivering solutions in a highly complex and nebulous environment. Ability to conceive of and accept responsibility for projects and see them through to completion.
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently in as fast paced environment and drive change across VMware engineering groups.
- Strong software engineering technical background with a passion for delivering high performance, quality software.
- Ability to synthesize strategic solutions to interdependent and broad problems
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top