Staff Software Engineer
- Burlington, MA
VMware (NYSE:VMW), the industry-leading virtualization software company, enables organizations to innovate by streamlining IT infrastructure and operations. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and policy-driven automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace. VMware delivers value to more than 500,000 customers through investments in virtualization technologies-from the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace- professional services, and a robust ecosystem of more than 75,000 partners that drives application interoperability and customer choice. How we carry out the vision is grounded on our shared values. With 24,000+ employees and 100+ locations, we deeply value Execution, Passion, Integrity, Customers, and Community.
o Today's workplace is growing increasingly mobile. End-users need access to their desktops and corporate information from various devices and locations. For IT, the delivery, management and security of corporate desktops, applications and data is an exceedingly complex challenge. Our business group - EUC - End-User Computing team is building the next generation platform for enabling the mobile, modern workforce. The Horizon family of products was developed around the vision that users now need a virtual workspace - a central hub for accessing all their desktops, business applications, services and files.
o Windows desktops have been a mainstay of the enterprise for 25 years, but a fundamental shift is now underway affecting the way enterprise customers access desktops, applications, and data. This shift is driven by two large-scale trends: cloud computing, and the emergence of personal Internet-connected devices to replace PCs. Desktops, apps, and data should be accessible from any device, anywhere, transparently.
o VMware Horizon Cloud Services(HCS) is a SaaS solution for delivering virtual desktop remotely. The HCS engineering team is developing a software platform that enables enterprises to consume desktops from the cloud in an as-a-service model.
Are you looking for an opportunity to be part of an IT revolution? If yes, then join the team building the next generation cloud computing platform. You will work in our exciting Cloud Platform organization, architect and build our brand new highly scalable cloud management product. The Horizon Cloud Services team is seeking a skilled and experienced software engineer to architect and own key features and components of the next generation cloud service platform. This role will require interfacing with product management and other groups within engineering to define and deliver the required solutions. The role requires participating in all phases of software development including requirements, design, reviewing, coding, unit testing, debugging and performance tuning.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Architect, design and implement cloud service components in a continuous delivery model for the next generation desktop-as-a-service using the latest cloud technologies
- Participate in component-level architectural design and code reviews
- Automate unit and integration tests within a CI/CD pipeline
- Proactively identify and implement process improvements for the way we write, test, deploy, and monitor code
- Collaborate with global and cross-functional teams to deliver end-to-end workflows and solutions.
- Oversee product architecture and be a mentor to junior team members
- Troubleshoot and help resolve customer issues
- 6+ years of very strong server side Java development experience
- Knowledge of cloud architecture & technologies - microservices, containers
- Ability to independently work with product management to identify feature requirements and convert them to technical solutions aligned with product architecture.
- Ability to independently design and implement complex solutions collaborating across teams
- Familiarity with scripting languages like python, shell.
- REST API development
- Familiarity with at least one public cloud service (Azure, AWS, Google Cloud)
- Strong analytical, debugging and troubleshooting skills
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field or with equivalent experience
- Have deep knowledge and experience about building large scale SaaS enterprise level software
- Familiarity with the CI/CD process and technologies (Kubernetes, Jenkins)
- Familiarity with cloud monitoring solutions
- Knowledge of web technologies, spring, hibernate
- Database: NoSQL databases, SQL
- Working knowledge of networking and common operating systems (Windows, Linux)
- Experience developing test automation suites
- Familiar with secure development
- Working knowledge of Jira, Git
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top