Staff Research Engineer, End User Computing CTO Office Advanced Development
- Shanghai, China
The VMware End User Computing team is looking for a full-time Research Engineer to help drive the evolution of our next-generation Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) platform.
Our mission is to empower employees to easily access corporate applications, content, email, and more, from any of their devices, while ensuring enterprise grade management and security. By delivering a premier EMM suite through our cloud-hosted service, we enable thousands of organizations across the globe to securely adopt mobility and thrive in today's business environments.
Job Role and Responsibility
In this role, you will be joining a small distributed team focused on researching and prototyping what's next for VMware End User Computing (EUC). Part of the EUC CTO organization, the Advanced Development team provides thought leadership, technical expertise, and prototyping / proof of concept development services for VMware's Workspace ONE suite of products. Working in collaboration with our product teams, partners, and customers, you will be helping to identify, research, prototype, and evaluate future technologies and features for our products looking 1-3 years out. You will also be working with our legal team to identify opportunities for patenting. This role requires you have a strong commitment to continuous learning, and to be capable of rapidly and independently gaining proficiency in a wide range of languages, platforms, and frameworks.
- Proven record of accomplishment of challenging projects, showing 6+ years of experience developing software using languages such as Python, Swift, Objective-C, Java, Kotlin, and C#.
- Flexibility in learning new programming languages, frameworks, and tools.
- Comfortable with uncertainty and loosely defined requirements.
- Able to work effectively fully independently, as well as part of a distributed team.
- Deep understanding of core computer science fundamentals such as algorithms, data structures, operating systems, distributed systems, and multi-threaded programming.
- Thorough understanding of client / server Web Services development, RESTful APIs.
- Proficient with the Linux command line.
- Proficiency with relational databases.
- Strong understanding of computer networks (e.g. IP, TCP, UDP, SSL, TLS, public key encryption, etc.).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Bachelor's in Computer Science or equivalent plus 6 years of experience.
- Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Experience with Machine Learning (Neural networks, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Jupyter notebooks, GPU accelerated training, services offered by public cloud providers - Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, IBM Watson, etc.).
- Experience with development on mobile platforms.
- One or more published academic quality conference papers or journal articles in Computer Science.
- Experience drafting invention disclosures for patenting.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top