Staff Product Designer
- Palo Alto, CA
Ready to help product teams deliver great customer and user experiences? So are we. Come join VMware's new exciting Modern Applications Platform Business Unit (MAPBU), made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications. We build applications with velocity to run in a cloud-native environment, run open-source Kubernetes with consistency, and manage our customers' entire footprint with confidence to help them achieve their business outcomes. To learn more about Tanzu watch this video. #teamtanzu
As a Senior Product Designer for VMware you will work with a globally distributed design team to apply your craft on a range of products, services, and experiments. Our culture provides the opportunity to explore the technologies we're researching and investing in. Some of your work will be functional, practical user experience design, applied to software used by thousands of people. You will help our design team drive cohesive user experience across GUI, API, CLI, IDE and other interfaces. Other work will be speculative, generative explorations that you carry out in collaboration and partnership across the organization to flesh out, frame, and help prioritize solutions in an ever-evolving and complex, often ambiguous, problem space.
What you'll be doing
You will contribute to the user experience strategy and execution for our Developer Experience program area within the Developer and Application Platform (DAP) pillar of MAPBU. The DAP pillar's purpose is to help developers build great software with a modern supply chain and get it to production faster and more often. We are responsible for development and delivery of tools, frameworks, products, and communities that support the needs of enterprise application builders and operators.
The Developer Experience program area brings together the App Dev program, Dev Enablement program, and the Desktop program to focus on the Tanzu Developer Experience with a primary focus on the Application Developer persona.
In this role, you will be responsible to:
- Collaborate cross-functionally with engineering, product management, and company leaders to take products from concept to launch.
- Guide user experience design on a team of multidisciplinary practitioners and help solve big and complex problems from concept to delivery in an agile environment
- Find creative ways to continuously learn from customers and users; Research and synthesize user needs to help conceive, define, test and evolve solutions for our users across a range of mediums and experiences; Advocate for users and delivering user and customer outcomes in a dynamic work environment
- Advocate, mentor, and educate on the benefits of design thinking to product teams and new designers alike; partnering with UX team members to uphold our principles and standards
- Explore divergent concepts to solve developer and app operator pain points while understanding how to scope the solution to build iteratively towards your vision
- Design and facilitate co-creation design workshops with Product Managers, Engineering and Design to define opportunities within our products to solve valuable customer problems
- Contribute and deliver against success metrics to have a clear understanding of how your design impacts customers
- Bring a systems-thinking lens to the conversation
- Craft user-centered artifacts and end-to-end journeys to align teams contributing to Tanzu around the broader user experience
- Challenge teams to think bigger and act smaller, instilling an iterative process and fail fast, fail forward mentality
- Present work, concepts, and new ideas to cross-functional team members, adjacent teams, and senior leadership
- Keep abreast of competitor products and industry trends; Perform competitive and comparative analysis to understand existing patterns.
- Leader a holistic, human-centered approach to design
- You have experience guiding and contributing to cross-discipline teams and exemplify leadership.
- You have the heart of a teacher and can help mentor and train people. You build and share empathy with people in order to deeply understand them and their needs.
- You are well versed in undertaking explorations into new technologies and territories while also delivering practical designs in a fast-moving product-driven context
- You are someone who brings Design Thinking to contribute to strategic and operational product and UX outcomes
- You are passionate about supporting teams with a wide variety of experience, backgrounds, and interests.
- Your portfolio will show that you've worked on complex and challenging projects across all aspects of the design process.
What's it like to work at VMware
We believe that our customer teams should spend more of their time delivering incremental value and less on building infrastructure. We're building platforms, tools, and automation, including Tanzu Application Service, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, and Tanzu Mission Control, to enable our customers to easily and confidently develop and run the software that powers their business. Hundreds of companies rely on our platform to meet the needs of millions of their customers. Our engineers embrace Extreme Programming (XP) as a way to go fast forever and deliver remarkable results. Our product managers and product designers work side-by-side with our engineers in small, empowered teams, using Lean and User-Centered Design as guides. We measure success by making our customers more productive, as both software developers and platform operators. We spend time with our customers to understand and build empathy for the jobs that they need to get done.
This position is eligible for JoinTeamTanzu referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top