Staff Platform Field Engineer
- Denver, CO
At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. VMware's compute, cloud, mobility, networking, and security offerings form a digital foundation that powers the apps, services, and experiences that are transforming the world.
Since our founding over two decades ago, our 33,000+ employee community and ecosystem of 75,000 partners have been behind the technology innovations transforming entire industries - from banking, healthcare, and government to retail, telecommunications, manufacturing, and transportation.
Every day, we work to solve our customers' toughest challenges through disruptive technologies like edge computing, artificial intelligence, blockchain, machine learning, Kubernetes, and more - to define the digital foundation that will accelerate the next wave of innovation.
Ready to build? So are we. Join VMware's exciting Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU) Team, made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio. We help customers build, run, and manage their most critical applications. We build applications with velocity to run in a cloud-native environment, run open-source Kubernetes with consistency, and manage our customers' entire footprint with confidence to help them achieve their business outcomes.
You are unique: as an exceptional, passionate, customer-facing, hands-on leader, as a Staff Field Engineer you will help customers transform to realize the benefits of modern applications and architectures on the VMware Tanzu portfolio. You will also work closely with the Tanzu engineering and Solution Engineer (SE) teams to transform our customers' way of building and running their software. You are a problem solver, team leader, mentor, the thought of collaborating with a team to help companies transform to meet the challenges of tomorrow excites you.
At VMware, we believe that Kubernetes, and by extension, Modern Applications, will transform the next generation of enterprise infrastructure and applications the way Virtualization and Java have in the past. Customers are looking to containers to avoid lock-in with public clouds, and the industry has aligned around Kubernetes as the orchestration engine for these containers. The complete Tanzu portfolio consists of products and services that transform how enterprises build and operate modern applications on Kubernetes. Our team helps customers realize the value of Tanzu technology to deliver container and application platforms benefits.
Staff Field Engineers are responsible for:
- Delighting our customers by ensuring successful outcomes to their platform and application journeys.
- Hands-on deployment and optimization of complex architectures, and advancing customer thinking and awareness within the Modern Applications space
- The ideal candidate is action-oriented, collaborative, a continuous learner has strong customer presence and must have a desire to contribute to VMware's intent to capture modern application workloads
No person is experienced in all of these areas, but in this growth role, you will have an opportunity to explore:
- Mentoring teams executing on customer engagements both as a member and leader of a team for complex engagements is expected
- Designing, deploying and operationalizing platforms built on Kubernetes, designing for storage integration, container networking, service routing, observability, and platform security
- Driving platform adoption by working with the application, strategy and portfolio teams to embrace modern practices around developer workflow, application enhancements, build and packaging, application lifecycle, and observability
- Supporting a written culture and contributing to our technical content libraries
- Working with customer platform engineers to minimize and automate toil
- Designing and implementing continuous integration and continuous delivery processes to deliver customer apps to production, fostering a culture of ongoing process improvement
- Helping with pre-sales, conferences and general Kubernetes evangelism as time permits
- Becoming an influential member of the broader Open Source and Modern Applications ecosystem, contributing to Kubernetes SIG's, Meetups and similar
- Being a member of an effective remote team
- Developing content, producing high-quality artifacts for marketing, sales, and product
- Giving guidance to and receiving guidance from: customers, teammates, and leadership where needed
- Assisting all team members when they are stuck, and helping others level up their skills by providing kind and direct feedback
These are the things we really need you to be experienced in. You:
- Are an amazing communicator, able to communicate complex ideas simply
- Lead by doing and appreciate the value of achieving outcomes
- Have proficiency in Linux & CLI use
- Have worked with VM and/or containerized infrastructure
- Have experience programming in any language
- Know the difference between waterfall and agile software delivery and have experienced agile software delivery at some point in your career
- Are familiar with application developer challenges, interests and deployment patterns for Modern Applications
- Have experience working with a production distributed system
You are a fast learner. You have a proven ability to learn new skills and new technologies. We commonly encounter the following technologies in our work, and having exposure in some of these areas will be helpful. We will provide you with time to learn the things you need!
- OpenShift, Cloud Foundry, Docker, Mesosphere, Rancher, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, or related automation/orchestration tools
- Linux - As the de facto base operating system for all public cloud providers and Modern Applications technologies, effective skills working with Linux on the CLI are required.
- Networking & Security - Some of the more complicated scenarios which occur with Modern Applications projects and technologies involve both east/west and ingress/egress networking and security considerations.
- Reliability Engineering - A drive towards constant iteration and improvement of technologies and processes is a fundamental part of being successful with Modern Applications projects and technologies.
- Go & Programming - Some of our projects require building and extending tooling and projects. Go is the de facto language of cloud infrastructure, so if you've written apps in Go, that's fantastic. If you haven't, we'll help you learn Go. Having experience with any modern language is acceptable as a starting point.
- Cloud Hyper-scalers - Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud experience
- At least one year experience with Kubernetes design and use in production.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field or alternative education such as boot camp graduate or relevant professional experience
- 5+ years of experience in a technical pre-sales, support, or consulting role
- Knowledge of and operational experience with methodologies related to agile and DevOps
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Locations: Remote
This position is eligible for TanzuChallenge referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top