The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
The Staff Engineer / Tech Lead QE position provides a unique opportunity to grow your career in with VMware SEBU/SASE team as a 'hands on' technical leader, where you will be instrumental in driving QA testing and automation processes, test methodologies, risk analysis and risk planning. If you are passionate about Networking, Cloud, Systems and Security then you are at the right place. If you are looking forward to working on latest and top of the line technology stack related to L2/L3 networking which keeps you always engaged and gives you ample learning opportunity, you will feel right at home. VMware SASE team has a very inclusive and flexible culture which will you let you lead and move across pillars to expand your breadth as well.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- As a QE Tech Lead, you will drive test and automation strategy across test pillars for VMWare SASE's control and dataplane features and services.
- Within 30 days of employment, you will become competent with VMware SASE's deployment, high level design and QE testing and automation environment.
- You will work closely with Engineering Dev, Product Management, Support and Tech Ops to provide day-to-day operations for the SASE portfolio.
- Within 90 days of employment, you 'hands on' in your in your test area(s) of expertise. This will include test case development and automation, identifying testscope for given release, and working on field escalations.
- Within 180 days you will be able to work on Techincal Debt reductions, Customer found defect root cause analysis, tracking automation progress. Along with this you will also be working with SE/TechOps team to collaborate on customer deployments and guidelines.
- Within 360 days along with above, you will be reviewing new feature request requirements and putting together test strategy, identifying tools and dependencies to test and fully automate. You will be a self-starter and lean into projects until the best solution is found.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Your regular activities may be modified to suit your professional strengths, but you can expect a variety of the following assignments:
- Daily you will make hands on changes in SASE/SDWAN automation framework using Python scripting for Customer representative System testbeds
- Evaluate, select and formulate best usage of test automation tools and future alignment for different products and applications
- Required to engage with various partners like PM, Development team to develop, review release targets, and test plans
- Work closely with QA automation infra team guiding and resolving technical issues of the product as needed.
- Assist with debugging and verification of defects in your own and others' work
- You will work on jira and confluence finding bugs in software code and writing know-how docs.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this is role is Varun Sachdev. Varun is a leading the System, Scale and Performane QE team in the SEBU SASE division. He has been with VMware for about 12 months now. He believes in automation driven testing and encourages the team to be self-empowered, accountable and own their areas to drive, lift the team spirit and help each other and solve problems and brainstorm together.
The team is distributed and between US and India and follows dynamic, open culture at work and encourages to learn from each other, teach others and grow along with others being collaborative and courteous.
Where is this role located?
This team has been historically based out of VMware's Palo Alto office however this role is open to fully remote and can be done anywhere in North America.
If you live in the surrounding area, you will have the option to work from the office partly or fully if you wish to do so.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com .
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.