Staff Engineer - Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (Remote, US Time Zones)
- Los Angeles, CA
The Elevator Pitch: Why would you enjoy this new opportunity?Enterprises are running mission critical software in more places than ever before -- in their datacenter, hybrid cloud, public cloud, and at the edge. In order to catalyze enterprise transformation through software, VMware envisions a world whereKubernetes is as available as a utility - like electricity - customers need to deploy a consistent Kubernetes grid across all their operational environments.Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG) provides Enterprise organizations with a consistent, upstream compatible, Kubernetes substrate across SDDC, Public Cloud, and Edge environments that is ready for end-user workloads and ecosystem integrations. TKG builds on trusted open source and community projects and delivers an engineered and supported Kubernetes platform for end users and partners. We will also build a management platform to deploy, manage and secure TKG and Kubernetes clusters deployed by TKG and integrate with Tanzu Mission Control (TMC).
What is the primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?This Staff (1 or 2) position will be responsible ensuring an impactful and motivated team of developers-- effectively working and collaborating from distributed locations and delivering innovative features for TKG The role partners with product managers and engineering managers and other project teams such as Tanzu Mission Control (TMC).
- Provide technical leadership for the team that will focus on building TKG.
- Responsible for architecture, design, code and extensibility of Kubernetes API and controllers of TKG.
- Work with product managers to translate requirements into design and functional specs
- Produce high quality, well-documented code. Participate and influence code
- reviews, design reviews for robust and scalable products, must work across engineering teams and architects.
- Effectively communicates with many types of audiences
- Facilitates collaboration and communication to ensure all perspectives are heard and considered
- Mentor engineers on design, good coding practices.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months, you will work toward completing?
As a Staff engineer, we expect you:
- Have deep technical skills across both proprietary and open-source, and a good breadth across many technologies. Knowledge spanning multiple platforms and architecture with deep understanding of Kubernetes.
- Expertise with enterprise, distributed, object-oriented client/server and/or web-based systems design and implementation.
- Have an excellent presentation, interaction, and communication skills.
- Lead the team to deliver product on time with good quality
- Lead the team to adopt the agile and ensure the production level quality in a CICD process
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments or requirements will you be performing on a regular basis?As a Staff engineer
- Work with product manager(s), engineering manager and workstream tech lead and team members to translate requirements into design and functional specs, provide technical guidance for the team members and solve critical technical problems
- Help to build and adopt development process to enhance productivity and efficiency
- Formulate leadership level messaging and communications
- Be able to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
What is leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Maggie Cai, Sr. R&D Manager. Maggie has been at VMware for more than 8 years, worked on many VMware products like ESXi, vSphere, VMware Cloud Foundation and Tanzu. Maggie is the engineering lead of the TKG Lifecycle Management, managing several development teams, including both front-end and backend engineers.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our on-site pantries
This position is eligible for TanzuChallenge referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top