Staff Engineer (Software Systems/SDN)
- Palo Alto, CA
VMware Telco & Edge Cloud Business Unit is looking for a highly motivated Software Systems Staff Engineer to join the team that is building a real-time software-defined control platform for mobile radio access networks. The mobile radio access network is considered the final frontier in software-defined networking, and in this role, you will be engineering a product that is envisioned to disrupt the mobile industry. This control platform ingests telemetry from the mobile radio access network, runs a host of control applications, and dynamically programs the network - all within a control-loop delay budget that can be as low as 10 milliseconds.
You will be a lead engineer for this platform, and drive the architecture, design and implementation of one or more core components of this platform, including but not limited to real-time low-latency messaging with control applications and integration/interfaces with mobile radio access networks.
You do NOT need to be knowledgeable about wireless or mobile radio access networks.
- Architect, design and implement various components of the control platform, including real-time low-latency messaging with control applications and integration/interfaces with mobile radio access networks.
- Work collaboratively with engineering team to make the control platform reliable, scalable and secure.
- Work collaboratively with Product Managers and Solution Architects to develop and package a high-quality product/solution.
Support production trial and deployment in customers' networks.
- Support senior management and executives in technical discussions with customers and partners.
- Provide technical mentorship to junior members of the team in software architecture, design and robust coding.
- Document architecture, design and best practices while developing and deploying product solutions.
- Work in an agile development environment while continuously evaluating and improving engineering processes.
- MS or PhD or equivalent, with 8+ years of experience in software design and development
- 3+ years of experience as feature/component lead of complex features/components
- Strong experience with developing and deploying SDN control plane software; experience/involvement with relevant open source SDN projects is a big plus
Solid understanding of networking fundamentals
- Strong programming skills in C/C++ and Java; experience with Go and Python is a plus
- Strong experience with RPC frameworks including gRPC
- Strong experience with implementing interfaces using TCP/IP, SCTP/IP
- Strong working experience in Linux operating system
Hands on experience with data formats like protobuf and JSON
- Hands on experience with low-latency performance tuning including passthrough techniques
- Hands on experience with NAT, Firewall, etc.
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills
- Highly motivated team player
Experience with working in fast-paced environment
- Good communication and presentation skills
Good to have
- Specialization in Computer Science/Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Experience with server virtualization software; exposure to NUMA, CPU pinning is a plus
Experience with container technologies; Kubernetes knowledge is a plus
- Exposure to real-time operating system
Back to top