Staff Engineer, R&D: Machine Learning Platforms
- Bangalore, India
Machine Learning for Cloud Management
The Cloud Management Business Unit at VMware creates industry leading solutions for public, private and hybrid clouds. The troubleshooting, monitoring and management capabilities provided by our software has made us an integral part of customer's cross-cloud journey. Our teams are rapidly innovating on providing smart solutions to help our customers manage the ever-growing infrastructure and application in their clouds.
Our goals are to pro-actively detect, surface up and auto-remediate problems before they hamper customer's applications! Through machine learning and data analytics, we hope to provide our customers self-managing data centers across clouds. High volume metrics, configurations, events and logs provide a rich data set for learning behavioral pattern across compute, storage, networks and applications. We provide our capabilities through traditional on-premises as well as cutting-edge SaaS solutions.
Are you an innovator and problem solver that loves working with new technologies? Do you want to be a part of a team that delivers high-quality products solving customer problems? Are you passionate about solving cloud management challenges across public, private and hybrid clouds? Are you willing to learn new technologies? If you answered yes to any of the above and thrive giving candid feedback while contributing to the development of new ideas and services, we are the team for you!
Your roles and responsibilities:
Your goal is to design, build and productionize platform components for our machine learning/analytics initiatives. In general, you will need to:
- Work with machine learning teams to understand data requirements
- Analyze data requirements, design and build a lossless, scalable and performant data acquisition systems
- Data modelling, design of persistence mechanisms including appropriate tech stack choices for different data types.
- Conceptualize and build systems to integrate the result/actions of Machine Learning with multiple products, both SaaS and on-premises.
Contribute code individually and lead other members of the team.
- Work across cross-functional and cross-geo boundaries to ensure alignment and sanity.
- Minimum 10 years of hands-on software development experience
- Demonstrable experience designing scalable and highly available distributed systems
Proficiency in Java. Experience with multiple languages a plus
- Hands-on experience building SaaS systems
- Quality focus: Hands-on experience writing high coverage unit and integration tests
- Experience in building observability and self-monitoring constructs
- Strong sense of ownership and a 'buck stops here' mentality
Prior experience working in geographically dispersed team
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Ability and willingness to participate in on-duty rotations and 2nd tier product support
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 12+ years of experience in a technical leadership role
- Hands-on experience with one or more of time-series, hierarchical or graph databases
- Prior work in design and implementation of SaaS/on-premises interactions
- Experience building systems using public cloud services
- Knowledge or experience with VMware products and technologies is highly desirable
Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
Back to top