Staff Engineer (DRS/AUTOSCALER/POD TEAM)
- Palo Alto, CA
VMC - Autoscaler team delivers some of the fundamental components of VMware SDDCaaS on AWS public and hybrid cloud. We are a growing team and are seeking an engineer to build and support VMware High Availability technology in VMC Public Sector. You'll be part of a bright engineering team that is working on some of state of the art Cloud features like Auto-Remediation, Elastic-DRS /Elastic Cluster and Multi-AZ. This team is also responsible for developing and maintaining vSphere features that ensure that VMs are highly-available and protected against failures ranging from Host failures to Storage and Networking outages across multiple Availability Zones. If you have a real passion for building Cloud systems that are highly scalable, manageable, and fault tolerant, then you will fit right in. We are looking for engineers with high levels of ownership and who thrive in an open, creative and technology-driven culture.
Define and drive VMC-Autoscaler offerings on AWS Commercial, GovCloud regions and VMC on Outposts.
Design, implement and support complex software modules in VMC micro-service architecture
Participate in all phases of the software development process in a DevOps model
Responsible for delivering design & functional specifications.
Provide detailed scheduled estimates for development efforts.
Collaborate with other technical leaders in the larger organization to deliver and maintain the enterprise class software product
Help maintain technical acumen in key technology areas to help guide the evolution of our platform
Masters or PhD degree in Computer Science/Engineering with 8+ years of experience developing software.
Strong fundamentals in Microservice Architecture, Distributed Systems, Concurrency, Clustering, and Multi-threaded systems.
Significant Java coding experience.
Strong analytical and debugging skills.
Experience building cloud-based services.
Experience participating in agile development is a plus.
Self-motivated, results-oriented and proven ability to add value and succeed in a fast-paced environment.
Pod Service Team
VMware's Pod Service Team is looking for strong engineers to create SDDC management infrastructure for VMware's VMC on AWS, edge computing solution, and partner cloudsolutions. Our team consists of very talented engineers, working in an agile culture of innovation and collaboration. If you aspire to work on industry-changing technologies and deliver high quality product that delights customers, if you are passionate in learning and growing your skills, then this is the job for you.
Design and implement infrastructure to manage VMware's Cloud products.
Design and implement platforms and interfaces that can be plugged in by partner solutions.
BS or MS in Engineering or CS
Strong coding skills in C, C++, Java, or Go
Strong coding skills in Script languages - Python a plus
Experience with SaaS and platform software design and development a plus
Experience with microservice, Kubernetes, Docker containers, AWS a plus
Strong algorithmic and problem-solving skills
Good teamwork and communication skills
VMware, the Global Leader in Enterprise Virtualization, has extended its technology from the data center into public clouds, hyper-converged infrastructure, and edge devices. We are on a journey to help transform data centers to run, manage, connect and secure any application on any cloud to any device. At the heart of the "any cloud, any application, any device" vision, lies the need for workload management to ease hybrid operations. It is very crucial to provide improved and richer resource abstraction, resource aggregation, and resource distribution for hybrid operations in a hybrid infrastructure.
Distributed Resource Scheduling (DRS) has been able to deliver excellent resource management capabilities successfully at the vCenter Cluster level for all the resources (compute, storage, and network) in the enterprise data center. With VMware Cloud on AWS, more and more customers are leaning towards a hybrid infrastructure with both on-premise data centers as well as a data center as a part of the infrastructure in AWS. On the other hand, as containerized workload becomes more prevalent in the industry, there has been a significant growth in application complexity. The next frontier for DRS is to move our focus of workload placement from vm-centric to app-centric at cloud scale in this hybrid environment.
• You will participate in the design, architecture and implementation of high quality, well-architected software products, with specific focus on cloud services, container technologies, clustering, distributed systems, scalability, elasticity and SLA guarantees.
• You will work with Senior Architects, Product Managers, Solution Architects and sometimes with partners and customers to discuss and collaborate strategies for improving features and to come-up with the next generation products.
• You will be involved in the effort across different functioning teams and will be asked to tackle complex problems.
• Bachelors, Master's or PhD in Computer Science or related technical fields
• 5+ years of related experience in the software industry
• Strong analytical, debugging and C++/Java/Python/Go coding skills
• Experience with RESTful web-services
• Experience with scalable distributed systems
• Possess a good sense of performance tradeoffs and optimizations
• Able to collaborate with other engineering and product teams
• Demonstrate critical thinking and good leadership skills
• Experience and knowledge of workload management in virtual and non-virtual data center environments
• Knowledge of virtualization solutions
• Experience in delivering SaaS solutions and Cloud based services
• Experience with storage system
• Experience in resource management and scheduling
• Experience with Container technologies (Docker and Kubernetes)
• Deep understanding of policies and mechanisms for resource allocation
• Experience with Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) Processes
• Understand the competition, market space and the latest technological trends
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top