- San Leandro, CA
The VMware Engineering Services team ensures our internal and external customers enjoy a high-quality experience across the entire product portfolio. Our goal is to provide compelling, innovative, scalable, and seamless engineering services, which will protect VMware's brand reputation by continually improving customer satisfaction. We bring together key R&D functions such as build, performance, security, release management (and more), which frees up R&D business units to focus on product innovation. Our priorities include investing in R&D talent, sharing best practices, and driving scale and agility in VMware products.
Join the VMware's central Performance Engineering team as a Staff Engineer supporting vSAN I/O Performance Engineering. We are a diverse organization of creative thinkers, solving cross product performance problems from platform, storage, networking, management products to SaaS and hybrid cloud. We drive efficiency, improve the bottom line and have fun while doing it. Our products and services drive a measurable impact on the business, we do the things that matter.
Our team defines performance standards and is closely involved in products design and architecture to ensure they are fundamentally built for high performance and scalability. The team plays a critical role in taking products to market by generating performance highlights and educate customers on sizing and performance best practices. Research is ingrained in our DNA. We invent new technologies that enable our products to scale to next generation hardware and applications. We advance through research, development and domain expertise the future of AI within the company. Make a difference in your career - be part of something bigger than all of us - join the VMware performance family.
VMware is looking for a Staff Engineer interested in joining the Storage I/O Performance Engineering team to work on performance at scale. The team is primarily focused on the I/O performance of Virtual SAN (vSAN), vSphere core storage stack and storage availability solutions. The team is also engaged in building performance analytics solutions for VMware products. The candidate should be able to integrate performance considerations at the hardware, hypervisor, guest OS layers into an overall understanding of why various components of the storage software stack as well as various applications perform as they do, and then to communicate what is learned to the appropriate stakeholders. The position involves working with other performance engineers as well as developers to improve VMWare's storage offerings, developing best practices, authoring blogs and white papers, and presenting internally, at conferences, and directly to partners and customers. You'll be part of a bright engineering team that has an open communication, empowerment, innovation, teamwork and customer success culture.
- Very good aptitude for performance engineering R&D and experience with performance benchmarks and methodology
- Experience working on large distributed systems
- Experience with end-to-end system's performance and overhead analysis
- Good programming skills with Python, C/C++
- Capable of architecting/understanding complex software solutions
- Solid understanding of CPU, memory, network, and storage hardware and software subsystems as they relate to performance
- Basic hypervisor and Linux system administration skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with ESXi and Linux performance tools
- Exposure to data analytics, machine learning and statistical analyses
- Strong background in operating system internals and computer architecture
- Strong background in application performance
- Strong background in networking or storage
- Familiarity with designing regression testing experiments and performing regression analysis
Back to top