Staff Engineer 2 - VMware Government Services (SaaS / Cloud Security)
As part of the VMWare FedRAMP platform you will enable mission critical Federal Government Workloads. You will have the opportunity to build and operate a state of the art - Kubernetes micro-service platform, with a modern observability stack and security infrastructure worthy of a nation state.Several of these systems power mission critical workloads of national importance and often of adverse interest to other nation state actors.
The FedRAMP Engineering Platform team is seeking a hands-on technical anchor who can deliver and lead others to deliver. You will design, architect and build common infrastructure which all VMWare products will adopt in the FedRAMP cloud. You will consult and enable teams onboarding on your common platform. This role is unique in its being at the cross-section of mission critical impact, modern tech stack, security, FedRAMP complianceand cross-BU VMWare wide impact and visibility.
Success in role:
- In the first 30 days get to know the team and the tech stack
- In the first 90 days lead initiatives on deployment and observability stacks and participate in root-cause-analysis
- In the first 180 days, focus on metrics, runbooks and interactions with other business units
- Design and build systems for resiliency, performance, security and observability e.g. Uptime, Saturation, Error Rate, Latency etc. and a deep sense of Observability Stacks
- Constructively participate in design reviews
What will you do:
- Design systems for robust 24x7x365
- Be capable of leading from the front as an individual contributor in your own vision
- Guide and enable others in the team to contribute to the design
- Facilitate cross-program communication and collaboration
- Build systems to enable infrastructure platform, A/B testing, ephemeral deployments, image management, security continuous monitoring (conmon), observability and runbooks.
You will report into Ashok Banerjee, VP Engineering, Security, Compliance and Privacy.
- You will have experience with production software running on Kubernetes
- Robust experience with public cloud is a plus
- Expertise in FedRAMP, NIST 800-53, FIPS 140-2, and IL4/5 technical and operational requirements is desirable
- Ability to meet the requirements to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance is desirable
- Experience with security infrastructure is a desirable
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visitingwww.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, training, course work, etc.)
This position will perform work that the U.S. government has specified can only be performed by a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and therefore any potential offer of employment will be contingent upon verification of U.S. citizenship.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top