Staff Engineer 2 - VMKernel Hardware Group
Business overview: VMKernel Group, Cloud Platforms Business Unit
The VMKernel team is part of the Cloud Platforms Group responsible for ESXi operating system and core virtualization infrastructure.
We are looking for engineers in senior positions with extensive knowledge in CPU, chipset, and I/O technologies, built career in operating systems and system software for a virtualized environment. This individual will design and implement novel operating systems techniques and algorithms for ESXi to take advantage of cutting-edge system architecture and hardware technologies, working with various kernel teams to design and deliver new functionalities, targeting virtualization workloads.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent, or a BS with strong operating systems industrial experiences.
- Strong C/C++ programming skills.
- Intimate knowledge of OS interfaces to hardware feature and facilities, preferably with experience in a virtualized environment and IO virtualization area.
- Excellent understanding of operating system internal and kernel components, including security concerns and secured execution concept.
- Expert in low-level / kernel-level code development.
- In-depth understanding of modern Intel and AMD x86-based processor architectures
- Habit for writing high-quality, well-architected and well-documented code.
- Strong analytical and debugging skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of x86 assembler, C++, Java, Perl, Go, Python and other programming languages a plus
- Familiarity with multiple virtualization platforms, such as ESXi, ZEN, Hyper-V, as well as IOMMU, SR-IOV, Passthru drivers, ...etc., technologies.
- Experience with System bring-ups, CPU, Chipset, SMP/NUMA, NVRAM/NVMEM, BMC/Service processor, ...etc.
- Familiarity with kernel performance analysis and optimization.
- Understanding of distributed system concepts, Disaggregated System/ Composable hardware, a plus.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top