Staff Engineer 2 - Backend Platform Engineer
- Austin, TX
VMware streamlines the journey for organizations to become digital businesses that deliver better experiences to their customers and empower employees to do their best work. Our software spans compute, cloud, networking and security, and digital workspace.
Bitfusion is a group inside of VMware that develops advanced virtualization technologies for the most compute-intensive applications delivering automatic acceleration and efficiency on any infrastructure. Bitfusion is looking for talent to drive market success by building readily deployable software solutions that redefine computing and unleash the power of heterogeneous computing to end users.
Bitfusion delivers the industry's first AI Infrastructure platform enabling disaggregated, virtualized & remote attached compute accelerators (GPUs, FPGAs & AI ASICs) across any Environment / Cloud, & Application resulting in a 2X Performance Boost, 4X Cost Reduction for AI Training and Inference Deployment.
Bitfusion is a ground breaking technology for addressing disaggregation in the AI/ML accelerator market. As a technology Bitfusion allows clients to remotely attach to one or more acclerators, or fractional accelerators, and run Machine Learning applications. This substantially increases the utilization for these accelerators and the ability share them by our customers.
As a Backend Platform Engineer with the Bitfusion team you will be involved in creating a management cluster of these accelerator servers, integrating and communicating with vSphere and also ensuring the scheduling and allocation of these resources is done efficiently, amongst other tasks.
You will have experience in developing RESTful and RPC based APIs using Golang. Ideally you will have experience in developing and orchestrating with the vSphere management APIs.
What you will be doing
- Integrating with existing vSphere APIs to ensure that the Bitfusion user experience is a seamless part of interacting with both AI accelerators and standard virtualization in vSphere
- Working closely with the Engineering an QE teams to ensure a robust and flexible environment exists for our test and development infrastructure. This is a mix of different flavors of hardware and network interconnects and using AWS and customer environments to expand our coverage and support
- Build and test automation tools for infrastructure provisioning
- Identifying the right matrix of software and hardware to ensure a high quality product with good test coverage
- Triaging our automated infrastructure failures
- Document and design various processes; update existing processes
- Provide technical guidance and educate team members and coworkers on development and operations
What we need to see
- Work collaboratively within a team environment of other engineers to meet aggressive goals and high quality standards
- Familiarity with distributed systems
- Familiarity with advanced concepts of computer architecture, data structures and standard programming practices
- Experience in test frameworks for enterprise software and hardware
- Experience with VMware's virtualization technology
- Experience with using vSphere APIs to coordinate and orchestrate behavior
- Experience with Golang and Python (Bash/C/C++ is a plus)
Ways to stand out from the crowd
- GPU/accelerator management experience
- Experience with high-speed fabrics and RDMA
- Familiarity with Cassandra
- Experience working with VMs/Hypervisors, Docker/Containers and Kubernetes.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top