Staff Consultant -Migration Lead
- Houston, TX
VMware, Inc. provides software in the areas of hybrid cloud, multi-cloud, modern applications, networking and security, and digital workspaces in the United States and internationally. It offers compute products, including VMware vSphere, a data center platform, which enables users to deploy hypervisor, a layer of software that resides between the operating system and system hardware to enable compute virtualization; and cloud management products for businesses with automated operation, programmable provisioning, and application monitoring solutions. It also provides networking and security products and services that enable customers to connect and operate their network; and storage and availability products, including data storage and protection options.
In addition, it offers VMware Cloud Foundation, a platform that combines its compute, storage, and networking technologies with cloud management into an integrated stack and delivers enterprise-ready cloud infrastructure for private and public clouds. Further, it provides hybrid cloud computing solutions, such as VMware Cloud Provider Program, VMware Cloud Foundation, and VMware Cloud Services; computing solutions, such as Workspace ONE that delivers and manages any application on any device by integrating access control, application management, and multi-platform endpoint management; pivotal cloud foundry, pivotal labs, and Heptio, as well as pivotal application and pivotal container services; and VMware Carbon Black Cloud platform, AppDefense, and VMware Workspace ONE platform.
The company sells its products through distributors, resellers, system vendors, and systems integrators. VMware, Inc. has strategic alliances with Amazon Web Services to build and deliver an integrated hybrid solution; and SNC-Lavalin to provide digital collaboration platform for project delivery. The company was incorporated in 1998 and is headquartered in Palo Alto, California. VMware, Inc. is a subsidiary of Dell Technologies Inc.
With 2019 revenues of $8.97 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, 75,000 partners, and 23,000 employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our employees who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Want to be part of a compassionate community that thrives on architecting what's next in IT? Learn more at vmware.com/careers.
*** This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware
The Staff Consultant Role (Cloud Migrations)
The America's Professional Services Organization (PSO) is looking for an experienced & motivated Cloud Migration leader who possess a unique balance of technical depth and strong interpersonal skills.
The ideal candidate will partner with customers, VMware PSO Sales for pre-sales support, Worldwide Consulting Centers (WWCC) and several other VMW teams to craft highly scalable, flexible and resilient cloud migration solutions that address customer business problems and accelerates time to value. As a trusted customer advocate, you will help organizations understand best practices around advanced data center migration solutions and have the opportunity to help shape and execute strategies for complex migration projects and broad adoption of VMW's migration methodology, processes & tools. The ideal candidate must be driven with a proven track record in software/technology Consulting skills.
· Collaborate with cross-functional VMware project teams which could consist of VMware pre-sales architects, engineers, product management, consulting, and support staff.
· Work as part of a wider project team or independently act as Migration lead on Migration Center engagements
· Develop use cases into high-quality solutions in your specialist area
· Actively demonstrate commercial awareness and stay within the scope of the contracted work.
· Take ownership and accountability for individual deliverables.
· Define project requirements/issues/constraints with PMs.
· Make accurate impact assessments, and raise, implement, close down and roll-back plans when required
· Maintain current, high-level technical knowledge of the entire VMware product portfolio and future product direction and expert level knowledge of the Data Center Migration, which include Data center discovery, Planning and Execution.
· Assist in the development/refinement of our service offerings as well as Migration Center content, best practices, and white papers.
· Must enjoy working with leading edge technology and being an intrinsic part of a fantastic team.
- Maintain a broad technical understanding across VMware Virtualization, Networking, Storage, Cloud and Mobility products/technologies.
- Minimum 8-10 years' experience in Transformation Strategy, Analysis & Planning" on large Data Center migration projects with hands on experience on migration tool chain (commonly used tools used across the migration lifecycle).
- Should possess recent, real-world experience in large, complex data center migrations and be able to provide technical leadership and quality oversight on projects that involve server consolidation, software migrations, and/or infrastructure consolidation/moves.
- Ideal candidate should be able to review existing Data Center configuration, platforms (Wintel, Storage, Network, etc.) assess migration feasibility, identifying dependencies, and determining common infrastructure platform components and advise client on possible migration approaches, pitfalls, pros & cons.
- Previous experience with Application Dependency discovery & mapping is required. Should be able to define and execute on migration strategies for various applications and workloads. Fair understanding of the Six Rs of application migration strategies is desirable.
- Fair grasp of enterprise networking concepts and experience in networking tools such as NSX & CISCO.
- Ability to develop a data collection plan and experience on automated discovery tools such as VRNI and Device 42, vRNI is desirable. The ideal candidate should be able to develop application data collection templates, develop data collection workbooks and presentations that can gather application and infrastructure data, interdependency information and ensure quality of the data before being imported into planning tools such as DTM or TDS.
- Experience with developing migration roadmaps, detail migration plans for each migration event. Develop contingency plans and guide the Table-top countdown exercises for migration events, validate execution plans, run-books and contingency plans for each move event.
- Oversee the execution of pre-migration tasks, develop & implement command center frameworks for migration events, facilitate Go/No-Go meetings and execution of the runbooks.
- Ability to identity workarounds for specific issues and corner scenarios observed during migrations and automate solutions for repeatable problems.
- Fair understanding of typical migration orchestration tools (HXC, Carbonite etc.)
- Good oral and written communications skills, strong stakeholder management skills and the ability to interact efficiently with a large Project Management Office and other technical teams. Gather lessons Learned and lead the Lessons Learned review with the client.
Certification and Education
- Preferably Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
· Recommended VCP-DV, VCIX, VCP-NV
· Nice to have vCDX, CCNA
Desirable skills and experience
· Experience in delivering engagements under PRINCE2, PMP or TOGAF frameworks
· Understanding of ITIL framework
We promote an inclusive atmosphere where your voice will be heard, and where you will be part of a dynamic team working in partnership with each other. We are looking for conscientious and responsible individuals who can build on our successful track record and come with us on the next stage of our journey.
Work for the global leader in cloud infrastructure and virtualization solutions
We are looking for conscientious and responsible individuals who can build on our successful track record and come with us on the next stage of our journey.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top