Staff 2 Engineer - VMKernel Resource Management
Job Role and Responsibilities
- You will design and develop novel operating system techniques and algorithms for managing both virtual and real computer hardware.
- Implement advanced kernel-level resource management features, with emphasis on scalability, performance, reliability and support of new hardware technologies.
- Work with Product Management team to help define and refine new feature requirements and priorities.
- Work with key senior architects to define technical roadmap and milestones.
- Work with multiple engineering teams to architect, design, implement and deliver new products based on enterprise-class vSphere virtualization platform.
- Lead and mentor engineers and be a key technical resource to other teams.
Required Skills and Experience
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science or equivalent preferred with five or more years of relevant experience
- Deep understanding of kernel-level memory management required. Understanding of NUMA and CPU scheduling a plus
- Broad understanding of OS virtualization solutions, particularly experience with hypervisors such as ESXi, Hyper-V, KVM, XEN, and others a major plus
- Strong understanding of kernel-level OS architectures such as Linux, Unix, Solaris, BSD-like systems, Windows, embedded real-time Operating Systems
- Extensive kernel-level development experience and expertise in synchronization in preemptive multi-threaded environments
- Experience with Intel x86 CPU architecture and Intel based server architecture. Similar experience and understanding of ARM architecture, a plus
- Very strong analytical, debugging and C programming skills
- Understanding and experience with new emerging technologies such as Persistent Memory, a plus
This position is eligible for the DiversifyCPBU referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top