Sr. Member Technical Staff ESXi-ARM - Opportunity for Working Remotely
- Palo Alto, CA
The foundation of VMware's virtualization technology is ESXi. ESXi is an operating system and virtualization infrastructure built from scratch for the explicit purpose of running virtual machines. It is the leading data center operating system in the world, used by 100% of Fortune 100 companies and 99% of Fortune 1000 companies, due to its advanced capabilities, performance, and quality.
This position is for the ESXi-Arm system kernel team, responsible for the overall Arm architecture support for VMware and for all facets of hypervisor software development on Arm hardware. The ESXi-Arm team owns the core CPU, hardware platform (bring-ups, boot, chipset, drivers, DDK), virtualization (virtual platform), and engages directly with Arm and silicon partners on new technologies. The team works with other teams and BUs to build Arm support across a wide range of technologies, and engages in research to identify, architect future capabilities and future proof the hypervisor. The team maintains a high bar for quality and works with customers as needed to solve issues.
In this role the engineer is expected to be able to successfully work on large systems and hardware enablement projects and collaborate across multiple cross-geo development teams. The candidate should be comfortable with all technical aspects of a project and should be able to represent the team if needed technically internally and externally with partners. In addition, the candidate would need to collaborate with engineers from partner's software development teams to jointly develop solutions on ESXi. The candidate would be part of a strong technical team that is fully motivated and engaged, working across the full stack from bootloader to configuration scripts. Further, the candidate is expected to foster a research mindset focused towards developing new solutions.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent. Or, a BS with strong operating systems experiences (6 years of software development experience in the industry or comparable open-source contributions)
- Excellent C programming skills.
- Solid understanding of modern microprocessor architectures (multiprocessor programming, cache architecture, barriers).
- Expertise in version control and collaborative code review tools such as git, gerrit, perforce.
- Ability to understand, create, modify, and troubleshoot build issues, makefiles, linux shell scripts.
- Strong operating systems and kernel internals knowledge such as Linux/BSDs/Windows NT.
- Good knowledge of modern computer systems, esp. around I/O - x86 PC or ServerReady Arm. (PCI, ACPI, IOMMUs, DMA, UEFI, etc.).
- Self-starting - you will be frequently working outside your or your teammate's comfort zones.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Assembly (Arm or another RISC) programming experience
- Arm Architecture knowledge highly desirable (AArch64/ARMv8 preferred).
- Familiarity with virtualization platforms, such as ESXi, KVM, Hyper-V
- Experience with hardware bring-ups: CPU, boot loaders, chipset, SMP/NUMA, interrupt controller, SMMUs, PCIe quirks
- Familiarity with kernel performance analysis and optimization.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top