Sr. Member of Technical Staff - Deployment Lifecycle
- San Francisco, CA
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware's new Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU), made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications.
About Our Team: Deployment Lifecycle
Deployment Lifecycle enables our customer's Platform Engineers to prepare, install and update workloads running on VMs and on containers on top of Kubernetes. We also serve the deployment tooling needs of internal Tanzu R&D teams. We aim to make deploying and upgrading workloads on Kubernetes simple, fast, and consistent.
We aim to be good open source citizens and build a community around our products as much as possible. Some examples of open source products we work on are kapp, ytt, kbld, and BOSH.
Tight feedback loops drive our processes. We value test-driven development, pair programming, retrospectives, continuous integration and working at a sustainable pace. We nurture psychological safety within teams and empower them to drive the changes necessary to obtain successful outcomes. We build software and solve problems collaboratively. Teammates are always accessible to lend a helping hand both remotely and in-person. Mentorship from senior engineering leadership is built into our process.
Deployment Lifecycle is distributed across our offices in San Francisco, Santa Monica, and Denver. We have teammates working from remote home offices as well. We tend to prefer candidates who can work West Coast hours but we're flexible.
Interested? Here is what we look for in candidates:
- You enjoy building distributed systems that enable enterprises to focus on their business
- You are a strong collaborator and actively foster safe and inclusive teams
- You actively seek to create a blame-free learning environment; you enjoy mentoring others as much as you like learning from them
- You are interested in the Deployment and Packaging space and are looking to grow your expertise in this domain
- You enjoy contributing to open source software
- Ability to dive into large codebases (especially those written in Ruby and Golang) and contribute as you learn
- Ability to research problems (including making incremental progress when faced with technical ambiguity) and break them into discrete parts
Nice to Haves:
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- Worked with large Go or Ruby/Rails codebases
- Familiar with working in diverse and highly collaborative environments
- Familiar with building and operating workloads on Kubernetes
- Worked with thriving open source communities
- Operations or Systems Administration experience, particularly on UNIX
- Familiar with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- On-call experience with production-grade systems
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top