Sr. Member of Technical Staff – CloudHealth, by VMware
- Boston, MA
Member of Technical Staff : CloudHealth Tactical Engineering Team
CloudHealth by VMware is the global market leader in Cloud Management, and the most trusted software platform used to accelerate business transformation in the cloud. CloudHealth by VMware is looking for highly motivated individuals who will be responsible for providing outstanding customer service to ensure that customers, partners, and employees have a positive experience getting onboarding and ongoing training from CloudHealth.
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You have an analytical mind and a passion for the craft of software engineering, and you love solving problems and learning new things. Technologies come and go, but that excites you because of the endless possibilities it creates. You are looking for an opportunity to work for a company whose software is utilized by every Fortune 500 company and significantly impacts every industry. You want to be a part of a collaborative environment whose teams care about the product they are creating, how they create it, and the impact it has on customers' business objectives.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
We need someone who can collaborate with Product Management and existing engineering teams to design, develop, and publish software supporting a highly available, fault tolerant SaaS platform. You will need to investigate software problems that have been found by customers and develop code changes to fix those problems.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
· You will build and develop application functions (using Java) that can be accessed via a REST API. When a service such as the user authorization service reaches capacity, you will be expected to leverage cloud elasticity techniques to scale it. This can mean re-deploying the service on a larger type of instance (more memory and more CPU) or it could be creating additional servers/containers/pods so that we can create a parallel environment and allow the requests to the service to scale horizontally.
· You will be expected to showcase your experience with data stores and containerized applications code by looking up a customer's mapping of a user's authorized privileges.
The data store could be a parquet file on AWS S3, AWS DynamoDB, Redis, MySQL, or another data service such as an LDAP service.
· You will be regularly evaluated on the quality of the product you create and the code you write to ensure continued advancement of your technical skills in an environment that looks to expand them.
· You will be monitored on your ability to write code to extend our existing microservices and develop new microservices as needed.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
As part of the Tactical Engineering team (SPARTA), you will:
· Increase the overall customer experience when an issue is escalated to engineering
· Reduce the overall interruption rate across the Engineering organization
· Work on both customer-facing features as well as internal tooling
· Get exposed to the entire codebase while working cross-functionally with all the other development teams.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Scott Jensen, Senior Manager R&D. Scott has worked for CloudHealth by VMware for over 3 years. Prior to CloudHealth, Scott was a Director of Software Engineering for Dell Technologies in Boston, MA for 6 years.
Scott currently leads our Tactical Engineering team which consists of 12 engineers focused on increasing the overall customer experience when an issue is escalated to Engineering.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
· Employee Stock Purchase Plan
· Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
· Generous Time Off Programs
· 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
· Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
· Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
· Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our pantries
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top