Sr. Member of Technical Staff (Build Systems)
The VMware Engineering Services team ensures our internal and external customers enjoy a high-quality experience across the entire product portfolio. Our goal is to provide compelling, innovative, scalable, and seamless engineering services, which will protect VMware's brand reputation bycontinually improving customer satisfaction. We bring together key R&D functions such as build, performance, security, developer tools, and more. We work hand-in-hand with development teams to focus on product innovation and industry-leading solutions. Our priorities include investing in R&D talent, sharing best practices, and driving scale and agility in VMware products.
Job Role and Responsibility
The VES Build Systems team develops, deploys and supports software and tools that turn a VMware compute cloud into a build system used by over 10,000+ VMware product engineers. Build and test is a fundamental step in a developer lifecycle and making this experience reliable and performant for VMware developers is our goal. If you are someone who is obsessed with scalable software, interested in squeezing the last bit of performance from existing code while also knowing when to restructure code to scale software better, then you may be the role for you.
Our goal is to build and test large projects in the cloud within a few minutes or maybe seconds. This requires analyzing every stage of the build and optimizing for scale, load and performance. There are various interesting challenges along this path to achieve our goal. Our ideal candidate is eager to learn, innovate, self-motivated, works well on their own and with others, enjoys solving challenging problems, enjoys working with complex software and likes to make a difference.
Our team is geographically distributed with members in Palo Alto, Boston, Sofia (Bulgaria) and Bangalore (India).
- You'll join an agile engineering team focusing on developing software used for building and delivering high quality enterprise software products in a parallel development environment
- You'll design, develop, test and deploy code to production
- You'll help support production code and systems
- You'll participate in design discussions and code reviews
- You'll interact with our customers and VMware R&D engineers
- This role requires on-call/pager duty for two weeks every quarter
- Experience in developing software in a Linux environment
- Domain knowledge in networking and/or storage software stack such as filesystems/drivers/subsystem
- Hands on leading the design, development, test, and deployment of code into production
- Experience working on/with large, complex software
- Expertise in Python (or any major OOPL)
- Distinguishing expertise building and optimizing for scale, load, and performance
- 5+ years of experience working in a similar role on large distributed systems
- Undergraduate degree or higher in a Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a relevant field
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and coordination skills, hands on experience working broadly across various cross functional teams.
- Experience to the following tech: Perforce, Git, Jenkins, Gerrit, Review Board, SonarQube, Jira, Fisheye, ArtifactoryDocker, Ansible, etc
- Hands on with Build software (Make, Scons, Bazel, Maven, Gradle, or similar)
- Knowledge of Pyunit and Qunit
- Experience in agile methodology
This role is fully remote and can be done anywhere in California or Massachusetts. This role is based in the US and unfortunately, we are unable to offer relocation assistance on this occasion.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top