Sr Member of Technical Staff
- Bangalore, India
The position of software engineer is focused on understating scalability and performance of common application platforms, for both traditional and cloud native systems, and developing code to meet requirements from such use cases. The candidate will work in the VMware CTO group collaborating with engineering teams on building products that leverage service mesh (such as Istio) and Kubernetes.
The ideal candidate must have recent exposure to programming in Go and Java, extending Kubernetes with custom controllers, and having worked with Kafka and Neo4J. Experiences in cloud native platforms across multiple industries, such as banking, healthcare, and Telco is preferred. The ideal candidate must have had exposure to Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices, have been involved in performance testing of applications, on Java, Python, and/or Go. The candidate must have 10+ year experience in the above areas of practices and feels comfortable with various aspects of working in an agile software development environment.
Detailed Job Function
- Work with lead engineers to understand designs and follow through on implementation in the areas of service mesh and Kubernetes
- Be comfortable with working with minimal amount of supervision
- Be comfortable at taking an abstract concept from high level design to detailed implementation
- Be comfortable with multiple programming languages, Go, Java and Python
- Use intuitive expertise and experience in the application platforms space to breakdown technology hype-cycles and determine when and where VMware should engage, where product or partner investments should be made, to maintain our leadership or gain entry to individual segments
- Follow test driven development, build test regression libraries
- Be comfortable with several CI/CD processes
- Follow software engineering practices and processes
- Work with a geographically distributed team
4+ year experience with enterprise Go and/or Java and/or Python 2+ years experience with Kubernetes and Istio 2+ years on Neo4J and Kafka Experience in machine learning and algorithms is preferred General understanding of RPC communication protocols, such as gRPC and REST Knows about current trends in software architecture, e.g. Microservices, container technology, scalable architectures and backend systems General understanding of distributed systems architectures, challenges and design implications Experience in systems administration and heterogeneous environments, e.g. Linux Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills. Ideal candidate should have bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience, min 6+ years' experience in IT and product engineering
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top