Spring Open Source Manager
Location: Anywhere / Remote
Leading a world class team.
The Spring Engineering team is behind the most popular application development framework for enterprise Java. Used by millions of developers in every industry vertical, Spring represents an important piece of the Java ecosystem. This distributed team consists of over 70 engineers in over 14 different countries around the globe. Passionate about our code and our users, the Spring team is made up of industry-recognized experts in many enterprise software domains. As a part of the Tanzu portfolio within VMware, the Spring Engineering team enables users to be productive by creating business value with Tanzu and other related tools.
You have a passion for software engineering at the highest level. You are excited about open source and the impact it can have on the daily lives of millions of enterprise developers in every industry. You understand the challenges of a globally distributed team and how to navigate them. As a manager, you realize that the relationship you have with your direct reports is the key to employee retention and success at all levels. As a software engineer yourself, you understand that writing code is part of your job and maintaining code is part of staying relevant in our industry. You are curious and get excited about distributed systems and enabling developers to deliver those systems more efficiently with tools like Spring Cloud.
We know from experience that not ticking every box on the skills sections stops many from applying. You should apply regardless of your self-assessment, because we want to hear from you.
- Thorough understanding of the Spring Framework.
- Understanding of concepts involved in a Microservices architecture, such as configuration management, service discovery, circuit breakers, intelligent routing, and distributed tracing.
- Working knowledge of different types of software testing.
- Proficient with Git and GitHub workflows.
- Experience working on a globally distributed team (multiple time zones).
- Mentoring junior and mid-level developers.
- Ability to set priorities for multiple projects.
- Willingness to explain the team vision and relate it to your direct reports.
- Flexibility to work with people in Eastern Europe and Asian time zones.
- Experience managing career development (and employee expectations).
Nice to haves
- Experience managing distributed teams.
- Open source development experience.
- Understanding of how best to use resources to balance both team health and corporate goals.
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services, and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people, who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what's possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
This position is eligible for TanzuChallenge referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top