USA, Southern Region TX, FL, GA, NC
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware's new exciting Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU) team, made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications. To learn more about Tanzu watch this video. #TeamTanzu
You are unique: as a curious, passionate, engaging, hands-on engineer you will help customers realize the benefits of cloud native applications and architectures. You will also work closely with the engineering and platform teams to transform the way our customers build and run their software.
What You'll Be Doing
As a solutions architect, you will typically work on focused projects in our office and/or at a customer location as part of a balanced team of architects, engineers, product managers, designers and other stakeholders. You'll help customers realize unprecedented returns by developing and/or modernizing applications across a vast spectrum of complexity, language, and framework types.
All of our product team positions are highly collaborative consulting roles, with 85-90% of time spent in direct, 1:1 pairing or larger team collaboration. During the COVID-19 crisis, this collaboration is all managed remotely, with the expectation that face-to-face engagement in a VMware Services' office or at a customer location, will pick up again once the crisis is resolved and result in 20-40% travel.
This position will perform work that the U.S. government has specified can only be performed by a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and therefore any offer will be contingent upon verification of both of these requirements.
You Will Be Responsible For
- Working with customer engineers, architects, and product owners to apply Lean/XP techniques in order to develop and/or modernize software to thrive on Tanzu platform
- Pair programming with clients and other VMware Services engineers to build/modernize software based on the team's backlog
- Manage risk and uncertainty while moving the team forward
- Teaching your client pairs how to do the above for themselves
- Providing technical leadership and direction to customer engagements
- Facilitating group events (i.e. discovery workshops, event storms and value stream mapping sessions, in-/outceptions, standups and iteration planning meetings)
- Contributing back to VMware Services' engineering practice through mentorship, giving talks, and experience reports
- Developing product backlogs and roadmaps
- Meeting with existing and prospective customers to assist sales efforts
Required Skills and Experience
- Java expertise, with experience and familiarity building modern Spring applications with Spring Boot; you are proficient with Spring and related projects
- Expertise building distributed, service oriented, cloud based systems
- Have implemented cloud native applications or can demonstrate a thorough understanding of cloud native architecture
- Experience in Test Driven Development (TDD) and agile methodologies, including refactoring
- Ability to incrementally define and improve system architecture as a product evolves
- Expertise building CI/CD pipelines
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Comfortable in new situations with new clients
- 8+ years of software development experience
- Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems
- Experience with Domain Driven Design
- Experience modernizing legacy applications/systems in languages such as Java or .NET
- Experience facilitating large groups of people
Desired Skills and Experience
- Polyglot programming experience
- Experience with .NET Framework and/or .NET Core
- Experience with Kubernetes, Chef, Ansible, BOSH, or related automation / orchestration tools
- Some experience working with NTP, SAML, OAuth 2, Active Directory
- Experience using VMware vSphere / ESXi / NSX-T
- Expertise in networking and related technologies (e.g. load balancing / DNS / SSL / firewalls / NAT / SDN)
- Experience with full-stack development
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud or OpenStack
- Experience with a platform as a service product such as Cloud Foundry, Heroku, Elastic Beanstalk, or similar
- Solid understanding of systems monitoring, alerting and analytics
- Background in Windows deployment, automation, and related technologies
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
What's it like to work at VMware
We believe that teams should spend more of their time delivering incremental value and less on building infrastructure. We're building platforms, tools, and automation, including Tanzu Application Service, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, and Tanzu Mission Control, to enable our customers to easily and confidently develop and run the software that powers their business. Hundreds of companies rely on our platform to meet the needs of millions of their customers. Our engineers embrace Extreme Programming (XP) as a way to go fast forever and deliver remarkable results. Our product managers and product designers work side-by-side with our engineers in small, empowered teams, using Lean and UCD as guides. We measure success by making our customers more productive, as software developers, product managers, and product designers. We enable our customers to build high quality products to serve the people of the United States.
- Empower Teams - Diverse teams with shared context, psychological safety, and decision-making authority move faster.
- Start Simple - Learn just enough to begin and let the work inform the direction.
- Embrace Change - Expect change and turn it into opportunity.
- Deliver Early and Often - Ship value to users and measure impact to lower risk.
- Improve Continuously - We are always learning and humbled by what we don't know.
- Contribute to Open Source Communities - Share our time, tools, and methodologies to maximize our impact.
JoinTanzuServices referral campaign. #TeamTanzu
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.