Software Quality Engineer
- Yerevan, Armenia
VMware Inc., a pioneer in virtualization software, is seeking an Automation Quality Engineer with passion and expertise in coding skills for the VMware Cloud Management's Engineering Services team.
This is not a regular test engineering role. The best thing about this specific role is that you get to work for a top-notch Engineering Services division validating the flagship product of VMware Cloud Management business unit but without losing your passion for coding skills. To quantify in very generic terms, your typical diurnal activity would involve about 65% to 75% coding and gaining in-depth knowledge of the product and you will be spending the remaining time in improving the automation process, triaging automation issues, enhancing the automation framework with new next-gen capabilities, ensuring the framework can support test cases of other storage products.
Engineers interested in problem solving, developing testing tools and software interoperability get to design automated tests to find bugs in our products or design plans to ensure that the products operate efficiently with all software systems. They design and build test infrastructure, including automation framework and tools, coverage analyzers, and custom test tools. As part of the VMware Cloud Management Engineering Services team, you will work on full-time basis with the team of Engineers, developing and deploying software that will help drive improvements towards the availability, management, and visibility of VMware cloud services. You will also work on maintaining a pipeline and proposing possible solutions to facilitate the overall software development processes and to enable continuous integration and continuous development. As a member of our team, you will work closely with developers and PMs to deliver quality releases.
- define test strategy and develop test plans for virtualization and cloud infrastructure domain products
- automate the end to end scenarios by integrating various components into an overall architecture so that they can be packaged, deployed, and run most efficiently part of the continuous test runs
- set project milestones, prioritize individual tasks, and keep track of progress to ensure on-time project delivery
- work closely with different R&D and Engineering Services teams including offshore ones and contribute actively in individual test design specification and code-reviews
- participate in discussions with fellow test developers and provide technical guidance
- manage own activities to meet delivery dates and report accurate and complete status of test development
- maintain current knowledge of new methodologies, tools, and mechanisms, for test development efficiency and effectiveness
- develop and deploy software that will help drive improvements towards the availability, management, and visibility of VMware cloud services
- guarantee the positive outcome of automation to minimize the risk of regressions
- Solid understanding of operating system fundamentals, administration knowledge of UNIX/Linux OSes
- Software Engineering (QA methodologies)and Test Automation
- Experience in developing automation framework and testing
- Experience in Java and/or Python programming languages (other programming languages are OK, but should be comfortable to switch to Java)
- Strong troubleshooting and debugging skills to find the root cause
- A good understanding of software development life cycle
- Experience with bugs filing systems and source control systems
- Knowledge of cloud architecture security, scaling, reliability, resiliency and management principles and experience working with AWS, GCE or Azure cloud infrastructures
- Ability to analyze and optimize performance in large scale distributed systems and in high-traffic Internet applications is desired
- Experience deploying and maintaining production services using container technology such as Docker and Kubernetes is a big plus
- Experience with Java application servers and JVM configuration is plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English are required
- Good team player
- Knowledge of VMware virtualization products
- Working Experience in AWS or any cloud platform is an excellent bonus
- Self motivated and be able to work independently
Education: M.S. or B.S. in Computer Science, Math or Physics.
Experience:We are hiring across ALL levels; Junior - Staff/Architect
Leveling is determined throughout the interview process
- Attractive compensation package - competitive salary, flexible bonus scheme and additional long-term incentives.
- Individual career path - management and technical career growth, enhanced by learning and development program, regular performance assessment, opportunity to work with international teams of IT professionals.
- Healthy work environment - company sponsored medical insurance program, food and beverage program, sport activities, open communication.
- Work-life balance - 20 work days paid vacation, 5 days company paid sick leave, regular team buildings and celebrations.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. VMware is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top