Software Engineer - Tanzu Mission Control
- Bellevue, WA
Why might you be interested in this new opportunity?
Are you passionate about working on the fastest-growing Kubernetes technology on a collaborative and high performing team? Are you ready to help VMware build a new cloud service that enables the policy and identity/access management of fleets of Kubernetes clusters in any cloud? VMware's Modern Application Platform Business Unit is looking for a passionate engineer to deliver VMware's strategic offering, VMware Tanzu Mission Control.
Tanzu Mission control (TMC) is a new cloud service (SaaS) that is part of the VMware Tanzu Portfolio. Mission Control gives customers a single pane of glass for all their Kubernetes clusters needs so they can monitor, verify, apply policy, back-up, and restore with ease. You can learn more at https://cloud.vmware.com/tanzu-mission-control.
Using TMC, the customers can tighten the security and reliability of Kubernetes clusters by defining various policies like identity and access management (IAM), security and resource quota policies. The TMC Policy team is responsible for building the infrastructure to support these policy management across a fleet of clusters.
What is the primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
TMC Policy team needs someone who can collaborate with product management and engineering teams to design, develop, test, release, and operate cloud services that solve policy management challenges across a fleet of Kubernetes clusters.
What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- You will design, develop, test, and maintain new product features and enhancing existing features related policy management in Tanzu Mission Control.
You will possess a working knowledge of Kubernetes technology and TMC architecture.
- Solid understanding of Kubernetes RBAC, Kubernetes Policies, the Open Policy Agent (OPA) and the OPA Gatekeeper.
- You will work with engineering, program management, user experience engineers, test engineers, and site reliability engineers to improve the product.
As part of the Policy and Resource Manager Team, you will:
- Design and developing high-quality policy management and resource management features using go-programing language.
- You will be developing/enhancing microservices using cloud-native technologies like Kubernetes, gRPC, REST, Postgress, OPA, Gatekeeper, Containers, etc.
- You will write automated tests using go language to verify the correctness of features/enhancements you make.
- You will take on-call responsibilities, get to triage, troubleshoot, and mitigate production issues.
The hiring manager for this role is Suresh Chellappan, Senior Engineering Manager. Suresh has been at VMware for over 6 years, where he has been closely aligned with identity, distributed systems, and Kubernetes. Before VMware, Suresh was at Microsoft, was part of windows file systems and outlook.
Suresh currently leads the Policy and Resource manager team, which consists of 11 engineers distributed across US. The Policy and Resource manager team delivers many of TMC's core features, including Access Management and Kubernetes Policy Management.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, training, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local-inspired snacks in all our pantries
This position is eligible for TanzuChallenge referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top