Software Engineer, Tanzu Labs (France, French speaking)
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
At Tanzu Labs App Services, we are focused on working with customers to drive their innovation and application modernisation initiatives. We're not your typical software production shop-- we bring our own product managers, designers, and software engineers to the team. We work together with world-class customers to design, build, modernise and maintain technology. We don't just do the work; we empower our clients to drive change themselves. We share our time, tools, and methodologies to maximize our impact and leave a lasting impression.
Our principles are:
- Empower Teams
- Start Simple
- Embrace Change
- Deliver Early and Often
- Improve Continuously
- Give Back
To learn more about Tanzu Labs App Services, please visit our website on https://tanzu.vmware.com/labs . To learn more about the Tanzu product portfolio, watch this video .
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
You will work on the VMware Tanzu Labs App Services team helping customer product teams:
- Design and deliver modern, mission-critical, cloud-native applications
- Modernize existing legacy applications
- Empower clients and teammates to drive the same impact themselves
- Facilitate a culture of constant feedback, integrity, and innovation
At VMware, success in a Software Engineering role means for you to:
- Understand and apply our core principles, services and practices and start your first customer engagement within your first month
- Co-facilitate customer workshops and independently deliver customer engagements within your first few months
- Take the technical lead in a customer project within your first year
- Develop an understanding of the VMware Tanzu Product Portfolio and how customers can can use it to accelerate their business outcomes
- Act as a mentor to client and internal teams
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
You will be working on a cross-functional team, making decisions together with your teammates to quickly deliver valuable software to users. You'll deliver working solutions that meet the current needs of our customers best. You'll work in an environment that offers continuous learning and opportunities for self-reflection and feedback. We thrive when the team thrives-- thus we emphasize mentorship to achieve the best outcomes for ourselves and our clients. Above all, success is measured by the success of your team and the satisfaction of our customers.
As a Software Engineer you are a generalist and you'll be responsible for:
- Delivering successful client engagements from our Paris office or client locations
- Building and modernizing software based on a shared backlog
- Pair Programming with clients, along with VMware Tanzu Labs engineers enabling client engineers in Extreme Programming (XP) development and/or application modernization practices
- Becoming proficient in our various clients' programming languages and enterprise frameworks such as Spring
- Delivering high-quality, reliable, and maintainable code
- Providing technical input on product, design, and architectural decisions (such as technical complexity and feasibility)
- Managing risk and uncertainty while moving the team forward
- Working with a cross functional team of product managers, designers, and engineers to enable your client team to go fast, forever
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this position is Franck Liso, VMware Tanzu Labs App Services Manager for France. Franck has over 20 years of experience in managing cross-functional teams. He has also been a technical leader for the past decade (Practice lead, Technology Director, CTO) in digital marketing agencies and startups.
Franck's management philosophy is "people first" and "keep the team happy". If you are happy to learn and experience new things then this is the path to growth for individuals and teams.
At VMware, your peers are some of the brightest minds in the industry, including teams contributing to Spring, RabbitMQ, vSphere, and many more. VMware encourages constant learning, be it attending conferences or learning a new language. By joining our team, you'll be connected to team members all over the world with a wide range of skills and talents. We value diversity and inclusion, and foster an environment where all are welcome.
The Tanzu App Services is an EMEA theatre, organized around three main offices in London, Paris and Berlin. This role is aligned to the Paris office but open to hybrid / remote across the various locations when able to travel to Paris on a regular basis.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com .
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.