Software Engineer - Tanzu Database
- San Francisco, CA
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware's new exciting Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU) team, made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio (#TeamTanzu) to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications. We build applications with velocity to run in a cloud-native environment, run open-source Kubernetes with consistency, and manage our customers entire footprint with confidence to help them achieve their business outcomes.
We are looking for engineers who want to make a lasting impact on our enterprise-grade database offerings, Pivotal Greenplum, Pivotal Postgres, and MySQL for PCF.
You are looking for a collaborative environment building database systems that enable enterprises to focus on their business rather than architecting open source database solutions from scratch.
You are a polyglot who loves learning new programming languages and systems. Furthering your education has always been a goal of yours. Pair programming is either something you enjoy or something that you wanted to try out.
You believe in relentless automation to simplify operating inherently complex things.
Contributing to open-source software makes you feel good about the transparency it brings to an organization's code quality.
Agile concepts are at the core of our process. We have a whole host of Pivotal Practices around Test Driven Development, pair programming, team retrospectives, technical retrospectives, and continuous integration. We are excited to teach these to you and innovate with you on their implementation.
We believe in a sustainable pace, so we work 8 hour days, maintaining core hours to support collaboration. Although on-call rotations are part of most teams, incidents are exceedingly rare.
We pair in small teams of 4 - 8 people in our San Francisco and Palo Alto offices. We prefer to be co-located but when we do work with team members in other locations we use Slack to stay connected and screen sharing for pairing. We work hard to ensure that our distributed teams function as smoothly as our distributed systems.
Making an investment in each employee's professional development improves the organization as a whole. We encourage you to go to conferences, take classes, and read books -- and we'll give you a budget each year to do it.
Desired Skills/ Experience
We know from experience that not ticking every box on the skills sections stops many from applying. You should apply regardless of your self-assessment because we want to hear from you.
- Ability to dive into a large polyglot codebase and contribute as you learn
- Know your way around CI/CD platforms and tools
- A good understanding of databases like PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Demonstrable ability to research problems and break them into discrete parts
- Demonstrated ability to fully engage with your team
- Ability to ramp-up quickly and contribute to a production codebase
- Demonstrated mentor and technical team leader in a professional software team
- Contribute to a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from learning new things
Nice to Haves
- BA/BS in Computer Science or a related field
- Skilled at drawing on your technical domain knowledge, design patterns, and experience to build maintainable software
- Ability to mentor others in a professional setting
- Operations or Systems Administration experience, particularly on Linux
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, or cloud deployment technologies
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Worked in a pair programming environment
- Contributed to an open-source project
- On-call experience with production grade systems
This position is eligible for JoinTeamTanzu referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top