Software Engineer - Java & Ruby on Rails
- Bengaluru, India
Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Workspace ONE is a digital workspace platform that simply and securely delivers and manages any app on any device by integrating access control, application management and multi-platform endpoint management. The digital workspace is a holistic change in the way end-user services are delivered by IT, so you can deliver the apps and data employees need to work across any device.
App Volumes Manager product team builds software that enable customers to realize the digital workspace transformation by enabling them to manage and deliver applications to the virtual or physical desktop. Our goal is to transform the way end users get the applications they need to use for their day to day business, anywhere, anytime without compromising on security and application functionality.
App Volumes is an application virtualization product that allows customers to streamline application delivery and management. We are passionate about rapidly developing high quality software and applying automation and software engineering best practices to everything we do. Continuous improvement is part of our DNA. You can find more information on App Volumes athttps://www.vmware.com/products/appvolumes.html
Explain the vision for this role; What is the primary need, technical challenge, or most significant problem you are going to solve?
Our goal is to simplify application management and delivery for desktops and enable Unified Application Management for all applications. We focus on solving the packaging and virtualization of Windows Applications for simplified application management. As part of the App Volumes team you will be involved in writing code, design and development of application virtualization software. You would also be making sure you present ideas and improvements to the software and innovate on making the code and process better.
Within the first 6-12 months, what are the 2-3 most important performance goals I would be expected to complete for you to consider me successful in this role?
You will design and develop application code in App volumes Manager using Ruby on Rails. You will need to be able to learn and develop the existing product.
You will have to perform analysis on categories of application that may not virtualize easily and implement solutions to solve the virtualization problem.
You will need to produce software design and execute them for new use cases for application virtualization.
Along with the new feature development, you would also be expected to jump into customer issues and escalation and resolve them with quality deliverables.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- You will design software and write code in Ruby on Rails applications with SQL databases (Postgres, SQL Server)and debug software virtualization failures in Windows user-mode and kernel-mode
- You will implement and improve processes around DevOps, Agile, and CI/CD
- Implement solutions for application isolation using test-driven development with 100% code coverage
- You will have a string experience in consuming and creating Restful APIs.
- Read and review code from other developers to reduce bugs, improve implementations, and expand your knowledge
- Investigate and reproduce complex bugs using logs from several infrastructure components
- Participate in the Agile Scrum process and attend stand-up, planning, grooming, review, and retrospective meetings
- Work on a small team of engineers on a daily basis, using Agile engineering practices and continuous integration
- You will also be working on making sure you produce automated feature testing scripts to enable smooth feature regression.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
You will be joining the App Volumes team reporting to Engineering Manager. The team is mostly located in VMWare Bangalore.
The team culture is based on continuous improvement and as a member of the team, you'll have the opportunity to work with experienced, passionate, and fun-loving software engineers.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visitingwww.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our on-site pantries
this role qualifies for JoinHorizonIndia referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top