Senior Technical Writer (Networking/virtualization and DITA)
VMware's Networking and Security Virtualization software unit has an immediate need for a senior technical writer with experience documenting networking, security and virtualization products.
In this role, you will work extensively with the product and key stakeholders, develop your own expertise in using the product, and write clear explanations that show cloud administrators, data center administrators and network administrators how to install, configure and manage networking and virtualization products.
Job Role and Responsibilities
Do you strive to craft the right user assistance? Are you passionate about creating effective guidance and solutions for users so they can quickly resolve their questions? Are you interested in joining the team that develops VMware's networking virtualization platform for the Software Defined Data Center (SDDC)? If so, we want to talk with you about this exciting opportunity.
We are looking for an experienced writer to join a dynamic team. As a member of this writing team you will:
- Work closely with networking, security and virtualization product designers and engineers
- Collaborate with product authorities and designers, calling on your technical writing and user experience skills to develop the right content in the right place
- Work with the product team to understand customer needs and challenges and how to effectively guide users from documentation and user interfaces
- Create the installation, administrative, getting started, and troubleshooting content for the end-user documentation
- Be a part of the design and implementation of in-product help, co-developing the help content that users see and interact with
- Review and edit strings in user-facing interfaces, such as error messages and UI elements
- Work closely with program and release managers
- Receive assignments and determine how to use resources to meet schedules and goals
- Set deliverable deadlines
- Ensure all customer documents are consistent with the VMware style guidelines
- Ensure all customer documents receive technical reviews and are produced on time
- Participate in peer reviews
- Communicate effectively with team members and stakeholders
- Provide feedback and make recommendations on product design, features and functionality
- Align content to use cases, user stories, and established roles
You should be passionate about user experience, understanding and explaining technical subjects, and writing for IT professionals and software developers. Coursework or experience in Linux and Windows system administration, IP networking, security, virtualization, and cloud computing tools (VMware vSphere, Microsoft Azure, AWS, etc.) will give you an advantage.
- Academic degree in technical writing or related experience
- At least five years' experience researching, writing, editing, and reviewing product documentation and/or content in support of a technical product
- Experience writing documentation for virtualization, cloud administrators, and network and security administrators
- Proven ability to clearly explain complex technical concepts and create accurate procedural and reference information
- Solid planning and scheduling skills and experience working within tight deadlines
- Experience working as part of globally distributed teams
- Must be flexible and enjoy working with new technology in a dynamic environment where requirements change rapidly
- Understanding of IT operations
- Ability to work expertly at the UNIX/Linux command line
- Firm grasp of IP networking and virtualization technologies and infrastructure
- Proficiency with DITA or other XML-based documentation formats
- Excellent command of the English language
- Experience with Jira or similar project tracking and management tool
- Understanding of the principles of minimalism, single sourcing and structured writing
- Knowledge of a programming language
- Experience creating how-to videos
- Experience conducting usability studies
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top