Senior Technical Leader: Software Defined Networking Controller - Opportunity for Working Remotely
- Palo Alto, CA
VMware is a pioneer of the Software Defined Data Center and we are now investing in bringing the Operational Excellence of Public Cloud Data Center Networks to the Enterprise Private Cloud. To achieve this the team is building a brand new, innovative Controller for industry scale network fabric for Enterprise Data Center, bringing unprecedented level of visibility, insight and ease of operation. You will bring your standout talents to this by being part of this high-profile project which will redefine how Enterprise DC networks are built and operated. In this senior Technical role, you will provide technical leadership, mentor and develop team members. Your passion, technical and leadership skills will shine through as you would develop code and guide your team to deliver high quality product on time, every time in an agile development environment. This role will provide you opportunities to work across geographies, interact with multi-functional teams and partners and delight customers.
As a crucial member of this team, you will be part of the team of bright top-tier engineers and perform hands-on coding of critical pieces. You will work with product managers to define product roadmaps, translate requirements into functional specs and designs. You will technically lead and mentor junior engineers on design and proper coding practices. You will find that work is both fun, and challenging in a highly collaborative, inclusive, and agile atmosphere.
We are looking for:
- At least 10+ years of experience in developing and delivering software projects, preferably SDN Controllers, network management software (NMS).
- Deep technical skills across several enterprise technologies, both proprietary and open-source, and a good breadth across many technologies. Knowledge spanning multiple platforms and architectures with deep understanding of algorithms, data structures, and performance optimization techniques.
- Experience building large scale, high performance systems, services and server software. Demonstrated excellence in designing and implementing multi-tiered, high throughput services
- Extensive experience with Data Center (DC) Networking, BGP eVPN based Fabrics, TCP/IP Layer 3 networking and Controller products
- Expertise with heterogeneous, enterprise, distributed, object-oriented client/server and/or web-based systems design and implementation
- Hands-on coding with proficiency in Java and Object oriented programming
- Bachelor's Degree Computer Science or Engineering or Equivalent. Master's desirable.
- Extensive experience with Java, Python, programming, Networking, Network Management highly desirable.
- Strong knowledge of Agile Project Management processes.
- Test Automation and DevOps Experience
- Proven ability to deliver quality commercial software on time.
- Excellent communicator with verbal and written presentation, status reporting skills.
- Standout teammate with excellent teamwork.
We are bold, we are not afraid to question the status-quo. We promote innovation that disrupts industry. We embrace diversity and folks who think different. We dream big and we have the passion and drive to make those dreams a reality and have fun doing it!
VMware is an equal opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top