Senior Technical Incident and Problem Manager
- Sofia, Bulgaria
As a Technical Incident Manager and Problem Manager, you will coordinate technology related to critical incidents and document a thorough synopsis of events from the onset of the critical incident through restoration of service. You will also be responsible for ensuring proper root cause analysis occurs after any and all critical incidents. Additionally, the oversight and driving of root cause resolution implementation for all technology problems will be a primary responsibility of the position.
The best candidates for the role have a strong comprehension of incident response at a technical level, can command a meeting and crisis, work well with other people and have strong verbal and written communication skills, a sense of diplomacy, ability to anticipate obstacles, and decision-making skills to handle the fast-paced world of incidents. When you work with us, you'll be part of a highly empowered collaborative team focused on reducing the mean time to resolution and improving availability of our Cloud Services (such as VMware Cloud on AWS, VMware Cloud PKS (Kubernetes Engine), and many more) as well as VMware Information Technology applications, infrastructure and R&D Services.
We are a 24/7 operation (with staff in the US and abroad) and it is essential that anyone applying for this position understands this and are willing and able to be on call, get pulled into issues when not officially on call, motivate their team, and understand the needs of our business and prioritize work accordingly.
To be successful in this position, you will need to able to demonstrate strong analytical, communication (written and verbal) project management and process improvement skills.
Additionally, as a Technical Incident and Problem Manager, you will:
- Be responsible for ongoing readouts and other communications with our Service teams.
- Be responsible for communicating status at all levels including Executive Leadership.
- Proactively identify and remediate critical incident causes (critical incident avoidance).
- Continually analyze and report on service impact (outages and customer impact tied to critical incidents).
- Work alongside the Incident Management Teams to respond to critical incidents quickly and effectively.
- Work alongside our Security team to build out new capabilities in our monitoring platform with the goal in mind of reducing response time for critical incidents and improving critical incident avoidance.
- Drive Problem Management efforts through resolution implementation (working directly with technical delivery staff and our change management team to implement root cause analysis findings / solutions).
- Drive accountability through problem efforts (owning the coordination of problem related efforts and ensuring delivery service teams are meeting deadlines).
- Establish and maintain baseline metrics to properly show measurable improvement over time from both a Critical Incident and Problem Management perspective.
- Establish and maintain consistency in relation to Critical Incident and Problem Management processes.
- Develop new and maintain existing technical procedures, documentation, and operational instructions in our organizations knowledge base (both within scope of Critical Incident Management / Problem Management and otherwise).
- Assist / aid in the day to day operational activities of the Incident Management team.
- Perform other duties as assigned..
Our Ideal Candidate has:
- 15+ Years of experience operating within the ITIL framework (ITIL foundation certified or better preferred).
- A good level of working experience on Linux/Unix
- A good level of working experience with multiple technologies like Network, Active Directory, LDAP, DNS, Firewalls and Antivirus systems.
- A basic understanding of the application layers like Web layer, Middleware and Database layer.
- A basic understanding of virtualization components like vSphere, vLan, vSAN, NSX etc
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- A focus on efficiency and highly organized. Highly effective in time management and ability to manage several priority issues simultaneously while delivering results on time.
- Strong reporting skills (ability to create and maintain reports using a variety of reporting / analytical tools). Experience with BI tools is a plus.
Minimum qualifications required:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, Mathematics or a related field.
- 15+ years of professional level experience working on an integrated technology software system development and/or production support team. Four plus years of this experience must have included performing incident Management and Problem Management work with cross-functional teams to address and analyze business impacting issues both on application and infrastructure layers,
- Education/Experience Equivalency: A combination of the appropriate type and level of education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements.
- Attractive compensation package - competitive salary, flexible bonus scheme, company sponsored mobile phone plan and additional long-term incentives
- Individual career path - management and technical career growth, enhanced by learning and development program, regular performance assessment, opportunity to work with international teams of IT professionals
- Healthy work environment - company sponsored medical insurance program, food and beverage program, sport activities, open communication
- Work-life balance - 25 days paid vacation, regular team buildings and celebrations.
All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.
As part of the VMware global standards for integrity you will be required to go through a pre-employment screening process before you join.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top