Senior Staff Product Designer
Join us to do the best work of your life.
At VMware we are united by our shared passion for outcomes that transform the human experience in complex technical environments. We accomplish these outcomes by taking on complex challenges, big asks, and things that have never been done before. We look beyond point solutions and apply design to the creation of end-to-end user stories that transform entire businesses. We know that this takes all types of people. We believe that diverse backgrounds and experiences create a stronger VMware.
Designers at VMware are analytical and artistic, conservative and unconventional, technical and whimsical. We look for hybrid talents and build teams around divergent expertise, which allows us to solve problems and uncover opportunities in unique ways.
The Senior Staff Designers leads design research, strategy, information architecture development, and interaction design to create products and services that bring end-to-end solutions to a technically exceptional product range. Senior Staff Designers are able to discover, understand, communicate, and establish architecture for end-to-end solutions, that span across multiple VMware organizational groups and technical solutions with the help of a diverse cross-functional team.
What is expected :
- Act as the subject matter expert and technical lead, often being the "visionary" for design across multiple VMware business units and products, tackling our most complex problems
- Lead the planning, prioritization, coordination, and conductingof user requirements analysis, task analysis, conceptual modeling, research, information architecture design, interaction design, and usability testing
- Set, communicate, and establish a clear vision and process for product design
- Design and specify user interfaces and information architecture using participatory and iterative design techniques, including observational studies, customer interviews, usability testing, and other forms of requirements discovery
- Produce user requirements specifications, personas, storyboards, scenarios, flowcharts, design prototypes, and design specifications
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually to cross-functional and executive stakeholders
- Manage the design process, drive decisions, track issues, and assist in estimating resource needs and schedules
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented
- Participate as a contributor to an interdisciplinary team that includes other designers, project management, business and brand strategists, and hardware and software developers
Someone who wants to influence your own development. You're looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies, and where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point. You bring to the organization the following competencies;
- Extensive experience solving complex problems, designing product or service experience end to end.
- Strong knowledge of user experience design processes and methodology
- Experience measuring success of product design with data (qualitative, quantitative, analytics)
- Strong project and people management skills. Must be able to function as a project leader as well as an individual contributor.
- Proficiency with sketching, visualizing, prototyping and testing of service solutions in both early and late stages of development
- Professional use of service design techniques: value proposition, journeymapping, service specification, blueprinting, testing, etc.
- Up to dateon the latest techniques/trends/thinking within your field and ready to share your knowledge and thoughts with both colleagues and clients
- Ability to work within multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills.
- Experience with enterprise products, customers, and users
- Experience with SaaS products, public cloud, virtualization, operations, or development tools
- Experience working with agile processes where design is integrated in continuous integration / delivery
- Experience with process tools like Jira for documenting and tracking design deliverables
- A passion for creating products and services that resonate emotionally with people.
- Formal studies in Human-Computer Interaction or a related design or behavioral science discipline preferred.
Qualified candidates must include an online or PDF portfolio with their application showcasing end-to-end case studies.
This position is eligible for the GrowDesign referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top