Senior Staff Engineer - ESXi Userspace OS Group
ESXi Userspace OS team is part of the ESXi operating system team in Cloud Platforms Business Unit. This team is responsible for all userspace aspects of the ESXi operating system. This includes various operating systems services, distributed control plane, container runtime and application infrastructure (languages, compilers, libraries, etc.). This team provides the foundation for the VM management, host management and Virtual Center (VC) control plane.
We are seeking a hands-on Senior Staff Engineer interested in leading an operating system engineering team, and delivering various operating system services, distributed systems and other user space aspects of ESXi. This candidate is expected to work with various teams in ESXi and VC to design and deliver new functionality, mainly targeted distributed control plane, container runtime and new virtualization workloads.
Requirements (must have):
- Experience with providing developer infrastructure like languages (C, GoLang, etc) and system libraries
- Extensive knowledge of operating system concepts and x86 architecture
- Experience with low-level / kernel-level code development
- History of leading engineering system software projects and teams
- Experience delivering complex operating system functionality
- Experience architecting distributed system solutions
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Nice to have:
- Experience with one or more hypervisors
- Experience in Kubernetes configuration and low-level components of Kubernetes
- Knowledge of container runtimes
- Experience with one or more cloud platform architectures
- MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top