Senior Solutions Architect
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You have a passion for leveraging your deep technical knowledge to help clients build and run their own cloud native application platform. You're keen to broaden your technical experience working on varied client engagements and are comfortable helping address technical challenges creatively. You love to work collaboratively as part of a team, both with customers and with internal colleagues, are action oriented, promoting best practices and always pushing for improvements. Finally, you are experienced in working directly co-located with customers and remotely.
What is the primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
We need an experienced hands on engineer to join our VMware Pivotal Labs Platform Services team leveraging VMware's Tanzu portfolio of products as a foundation for our work.
Our Platform Services team activates customers by bringing speed, stability and security to multi-cloud software delivery. Our proven patterns and technical expertise enable customers to build and operate a modern software supply chain, run cloud native infrastructure and manage applications on Kubernetes at scale. We connect IT and line of business in a shared effort to catalyze enterprise transformation through software.
The VMware Pivotal Labs Platform Services team are responsible for accelerating customer adoption of emerging technologies and our cloud native platforms. We help our customers deliver business outcomes using a product-centric balanced team and a streamlined pathway to production, leaving application product teams unencumbered to deliver value to their customers.
Our Product Managers and Solution Architects work with customer counterparts to transfer knowledge, culture and practices while achieving project goals.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- You will contribute to the successful delivery of business outcomes on multiple customer engagements, leading to great customer feedback.
- You will proactively share your knowledge and experiences with VMware colleagues.
- You will drive improvements in the team's collective knowledge, practices and tooling to help us iterate on our practices for future engagements.
- You will complete the Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) exam within your first year.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
You'll work with customers on engagements as part of a small VMware team, either at customer's office across Europe or remotely. You can choose to work remotely from home or from a VMware office. Engagements typically are 2-6 weeks, but can be up to 3 months. In between client engagements you'll work with others in our team on internal initiatives.
Your work will include:
- Delivering hands on deployment and optimization of complex platform infrastructure architectures
- Helping advance customer thinking and awareness within the Cloud Native space
- Installing and optimizing Kubernetes clusters and dependencies
- Participating during pre-delivery Discovery Workshops with customers to refine proposed solutions
- Establishing continuous delivery pipelines for deployment of Tanzu and related platform products in a customer's infrastructure.
- Working with customer platform engineers to minimize and automate toil
- Designing and implement continuous integration and continuous delivery processes to deliver customer apps to production, fostering a culture of continuous process improvement
- Providing operational assistance and guidance for Tanzu platform products including; monitoring, management, disaster recovery, security compliance/auditing, networking, storage, service brokers and build packs
- Working with customer platform teams to establish Service Level Objectives (SLOs), Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs), and Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) for their offerings, along with associated monitoring
- Continuously learning and be at the leading edge of VMware and wider industry trends
- Helping with pre-sales, conferences and general Kubernetes evangelism as time permits
- Your domain expertise on Kubernetes or other cloud native application platform
- Your knowledge of networking and related technologies (e.g. load balancing / DNS / SSL / firewalls / NAT / SDN)
- Your experience working as part of, or leading, agile development teams
- Building Continuous Integration & deployment pipelines
- Your strong experience in VMware vSphere / ESXi / NSX-T
- Your strong knowledge of Linux / Unix systems
- Experience supporting production systems using Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices
- Your ability to work effectively with a remote and distributed team, as well as when co-located
- Your ability to work effectively in English
- Your willingness to travel and ability to adapt to different organisational cultures
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud
- Experience with Chef, Ansible, BOSH, or other automation / orchestration tools
- Experience with a platform as a service product such as Cloud Foundry, Heroku, Elastic Beanstalk, or similar
- Experience working with DNS, NTP, SAML, OAuth 2, Active Directory
- Understanding of systems monitoring, alerting and analytics tools (e.g. Prometheus, New Relic, AppDynamics, ELK, Nagios, Splunk, Log Insight, vRealize Operations, Datadog, etc.)
- Your familiarity with application developer challenges and deployment patterns for Cloud Native
- Any background in Windows deployment, automation, and related technologies
- Experience with database (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MSSQL) and messaging middleware technologies (e.g. RabbitMQ)
- 6 year+ experience in a technical consulting, presales or support role
- Your ability to work in Dutch, French or German
What is leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The EMEA platform services team is geographically spread across Europe. You can choose to either be based in a VMware office or from home. You will have a Line Manager within the team to given support and guidance.
This position is eligible for TanzuChallenge referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top