Senior Software Engineer - VMware Tanzu Application Service (San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, Remote)
- San Francisco, CA
Our group is part of VMware's new Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU), whose Tanzu portfolio helps customers build, run, and manage their most important applications. We build VMware Tanzu Application Service (TAS), a commercial offering of the Cloud Foundry project. TAS powers Internet operations for 15 of the largest banks, 9 of the largest automakers, 14 of the largest insurers, 13 of the largest retailers and 9 of the largest telcos. We provide a premier application deployment experience for enterprise developers, and this year we're focused on bringing that experience to Kubernetes.
Our teams build some of the core components of the Tanzu Application Service (TAS), including the API, CLI, app autoscaler, and web GUI. We've also developed an impressive release engineering process for shipping a final integrated artifact to our customers and continue to own and improve it. Most teams contribute to the upstream Cloud Foundry project. We work with Go, Ruby, Java, YAML (yes, YAML!), Kubernetes, and several projects in the Kubernetes community. Organizationally, we're figuring out how to successfully maintain our older successful products with less effort, so we can spend more time developing our new Kubernetes-based platform.
Tight feedback loops drive our processes. We value test-driven development, pair programming, retrospectives, continuous integration and working at a sustainable pace. We nurture psychological safety within teams and empower them to drive the changes necessary to obtain successful outcomes. We build software and solve problems collaboratively. Teammates are always accessible to lend a helping hand both remotely and in-person.
The TAS team is distributed across offices in San Francisco, Santa Monica, and Seattle. Some teammates also work full-time from remote home offices. Because we value collaborative practices such as pair programming, we prefer candidates who can work West Coast hours (9 - 5p Pacific) with the rest of the team, but some of our teammates work from other timezones and shift their hours.
Interested? Here is what we look for:
- You are excited to build developer-focused tooling that streamlines the software deployment process, enabling enterprises to focus on their core business.
- You are a strong collaborator and actively foster safe and inclusive teams. You enjoy mentoring others as much as you like learning from them. You're experienced with pair programming, or excited to try it out.
- You're a life-long learner. You like learning new programming languages and you're flexible about which ones you use.
- Professional team software development experience, or a Computer Science degree
- Ability to dive into large codebases and contribute as you learn
- Ability to research problems (including making incremental progress when faced with technical ambiguity) and break them into discrete parts
- Professional experience with our technologies and processes (Ruby, Go, Kubernetes, Cloud Foundry, Linux systems, Agile, TDD, XP)
- Professional experience with relevant domains, such as distributed systems, API design, and release engineering and automation practices
- On-call experience with production-grade systems
- Interested in working in diverse and highly collaborative environments
- Contribution to thriving open source communities
- Familiarity with common development tools/stacks, such as Unix, command-line interfaces, and CI/CD
This position is eligible for JoinTeamTanzu referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top