Senior Software Engineer, SaaS Big Data Platform and API
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
VMware Edge Network Intelligence is a highly scalable and intelligent cloud native AIOps platform using ML/AI and big data analytics. Built for CIOs, network operations, and helpdesk personnel managing heterogeneous enterprise environments, our product is focused on the end-user experience by helping IT staff gain new insights into client access conditions, network service behavior, and enterprise application issues that impact user performance.
This is a backend role responsible for API design, development, and cross VMware product integration using REST and GraphQL running on top of Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, and akka. If you're interested in using modern webapp frameworks, Docker containers, microservices, K8, and various languages to build products, this is the team you want to join.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- Within one month of employment, you should expect to ramp up on the technical stacks and set up your dev environment. Expected to deliver 2-3 simple bug fixes or small features as a part of onboarding experience to get familiar with code check-in, code review, and deployment process.
- Within six months of employment, you should expect to deliver 3 sizeable features to production. You should be comfortable in browsing the code base independently and working with leads for various components. Be able to participate in production troubleshooting rotation.
- Within a year of employment, you should be able to take on any project related to backend and integration development. Be an expert in 2 or more of the backend frameworks. Be able to take full ownership of a project and drive from design to implementation.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Our cloud services are running in the AWS and Azure today, but will be extended to include other cloud infrastructure using container technology. You should already have prior experience working on cloud-based backend. As part of the job, you will be working with various teams including UI/UX, mobile app, platform, and analytics. You take complete ownership of your tasks end-to-end which includes design, implementation, unit testing and deployment.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
As the team scales, you will be expecting to become a domain expert in the area you own and be able to lead on the projects falling in your area of expertise. Be able to provide mentorship to junior team members and also help onboarding new hires to the team. The team culture is really to help each other and support each other and be successful together. We have people from different backgrounds, and we believe a diverse team can help sparking innovation.
Where is this role located?
This role is based out of VMware's Palo Alto Campus, but also open to US-based remote candidates.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com .
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top