Senior Software Engineer (C++)
- Palo Alto, CA
With the rapid rise of cloud services, and with the proliferation of mobile devices, end users expect to be able to access their apps and desktops from anywhere, at any time. Meanwhile, enterprises are struggling with how to enable their users to be productive, and to be able to securely access their applications, from any location, on any device. Desktop and App Remoting is one of the key technologies that can bridge this divide, by supporting any network connected device and still giving IT the control they require.
As part of the Horizon Remote Experience team, we are focused on delivering secure remote access to virtual desktops and apps, while enabling end users to access them using a broad spectrum of computing devices. We are focused on the remoting of desktop and app display, capture and compression of real time audio, video, images and data, and the transmission of this data over public networks. We also deal with the remote redirection of end user devices that are connected to these virtualized apps and desktops, while also providing APIs for app and device vendors. Market analysts such as IDC, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and others rate this technology as a game changer and a high growth area over the next 5 years. When you choose VMware as your employer, you are choosing to be a part of the best and brightest talent. Join us in working towards transforming computing; thereby changing the way business is done.
More information about VMware Horizon and Horizon Cloud at:
The team is looking for a Sr Software Engineer for an engineering team working on Horizon Remote Experience and Remote Display Protocol. You will get to work on some of the more challenging and interesting problems building on VMware's production-proven platform. You will contribute to our next generation protocol to deliver applications and desktops from the cloud to a variety of devices. You will work on the networking aspects that help deliver the protocol to various endpoints across numerous network conditions.
How do you succeed:
- You bring broad technical experience, creative problem-solving skills, a passion for technology and coding, and a healthy dose of self-motivation.
- You thrive in fast-paced environments.
- You have a passion for building software with great user experience; you have experience in building distributed systems, blended with a strong systems background.
- You have taken projects from inception and design through to delivery.
- You have strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- You take ownership of problems.
Required Skills and Background:
· BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related disciplines - MS or PhD preferred
· 7+ years' experience developing with C/C++
· Experience in the development of end-user focused applications
· Experience in the development of large distributed software systems at scale
· Experience with network programming and the transmission of realtime data over the internet
· Exposure to testing and deployment tools and CI/CD (Puppet, Chef, Jenkins, etc.)
· Experience with developing automated tests, such as unit tests
Highly Desired Skills:
· Knowledge of virtualization and application virtualization technologies would be a plus
· Cross platform development experience on Windows, Linux, OS X, iOS, or Android
· Experience in providing APIs and SDK for third-party developers
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top