The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You have a creative mind, attention to detail, and a genuine passion for the craft of software engineering. You love solving problems, learning new technologies, and making data-centric software scale massively.
Tanzu Observability by Wavefront offers many opportunities for applying your creativity and skills to a cutting-edge cloud observability platform that leads the industry in scalability and usability. We are a growing team developing a SaaS product that is used 24/7 by development and site-reliability teams at leading enterprises such as Lyft, Doordash, Reddit, Snowflake, Intuit, Box, Workday, and many more!
What is the primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
You will help deliver exciting new features in the Tanzu Observability backend. You will be working on high-performance data ingestion and querying of metrics, histograms, events, and other data, along with enabling intuitive experiences in the management and organization of dashboarding, alerting, and other observability workflows through backend APIs and processes. Your work may even connect users with AI-assisted suggestions and remediation when customer infrastructure issues are detected.
You will be working closely with software architects, frontend engineers, product managers, and the release and SRE teams as you design and implement these novel features to deliver customer value as a member of the Unified observability subgroup under Tanzu Observability.
You may create new Java REST APIs for a new way to do alerting, then move on to creating new analysis functions built on our streaming query engine, help us reach new highs in data ingestion rate by using our No-SQL key-value store more efficiently, or shorten our release cycles by creating more granular logical micro-services.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- You will work on the Java backend for different pillars of observability (metrics, Distributed Tracing, histograms, events, etc.) for both data querying and ingestion.
- You will create and update REST APIs that enable the frontend team to create new UX workflows for dashboarding, alerting, and root cause analysis.
- You may collaborate in decomposing and containerizing more of our microservices for Kubernetes.
- You will learn to work with distributed No-SQL Key-Value stores at a massive scale, along with various other OLAP and OLTP technologies.
- You will write clean, maintainable, and well-tested code with high code coverage.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- You will be part of design and code reviews, collaborating with the greater engineering team to set and maintain a high technical standard.
- You will participate in bi-weekly sprints in our agile process and work on features that fit the agile timeline. You will also participate in demos!
- You will participate in the learning culture at Tanzu Observability and attend and maybe even give tech talks. You will also likely get to participate in hack-a-thons to showcase your creativity in applied observability.
The technical experience in your background which may help your success in this new role include:
- Building Java RESTful backends
- Distributed systems and microservice libraries
- Knowledge of containerization and Kubernetes.
- Experience with observability or monitoring such as Grafana, Prometheus, TICK stack, StatsD, DataDog, or SignalFX, is a plus.
We know from experience that not ticking every box on the skills sections stops many from applying. Please apply regardless of your self-assessment -- we want to hear from you! We have seen engineers succeed with a diverse range of skills and experiences.
Culturally, the team is focused on innovation, customer value, execution, growth, and kindness. We retain the original startup DNA in our responsiveness and respect towards everyone's contributions and focus on exciting big ideas, innovation, and features and fixes that deliver customer value. However, we have the stable backing of VMware, which is itself a values-cherishing company and a great place to work
To learn more about Tanzu watch this video . #teamtanzu
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com .
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, training, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local-inspired snacks in all our on-site pantries
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.