Senior Software Engineer
- Los Angeles, CA
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Working with VMware Edge Network Intelligence (ENI) team, you will be engaged in cutting edge designing, implementation of network analytics products. ENI is a cloud first product. Therefore, you will be involved in managing and maintaining ENI's cloud infrastructure. If you are passionate about Networking, Cloud, Systems and Security then you are at the right place. If you are looking forward to working in a startup environment with the stability of a public corporation, you will feel right at home. The core ENI engineers have many years of startup experience and the startup culture and mentality continue within this team. Where other organizations talk about continuous delivery, the ENI team puts it to practice every week. VMware ENI team has a very inclusive and flexible culture which will you let you lead and move across pillars to expand your breadth as well.
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- You will design and develop features to collect metrics from various sources like wireless controllers, network routers and switches.
- Within 30 days of employment, you will become competent with ENI's architecture, infrastructure, code base and deployment models
- Within 90 days of employment, you will be providing high level design overview in your area of learning and pillar ownership. You will be providing code reviews, fixing issues in code with troubleshooting and debuggability.
- Within 180 days you will be able to work on field escalations and help on a rotation basis with on-call support.
- Within 360 days along with above, you will be reviewing new feature request requirement and putting together functional and design specifications. You will be a self-starter and lean into projects until the best solution is found.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Your regular activities may be modified to suit your professional strengths, but you can expect a variety of the following assignments:
- Collaborate effectively with other staff to solve complex problems
- Assist with debugging and verification of defects in your own and others' work
- Daily you will make hands on changes in the ENI code using Java, Python, or C++
- You will use NoSQL databases like Elasticsearch, Cassandra and Mongo and you will also learn how to tune these databases for optimal performance
- You will work on building and enhancing multiple cloud data centers in Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure
- You will use cloud infrastructure tools like Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Packer, Helm
- You will work on Jira and Confluence fixing bugs in software code and writing design know-how docs
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this is role is Marvin Chan. Marvin is an Engineering Manager leading the ENI backend team in the SEBU division. He has been with VMware for over a year now. Marvin continues to write code and remains hands-on. He encourages team members to always challenge themselves and to learn new things outside of their domain of expertise. He believes team members should be self-empowered, accountable, own their areas to drive, be willing to help each other and solve problems and brainstorm together. The team follows dynamic, open culture at work and encourages to learn from each other, teach others and grow along with others being collaborative and courteous.
Where is this role located?
This team has been historically based out of VMware's Palo Alto office however this role is open to fully remote and can be done anywhere in North America.
If you live in the surrounding area, you will have the option to work from the office partly or fully if you wish to do so.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com .
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top