Senior Product Manager
- Chicago, IL
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware's new and exciting Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU) team, made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications. We build applications with velocity to run in a cloud-native environment, run open-source Kubernetes with consistency, and manage our customers' entire footprint with confidence to help them achieve their business outcomes.
As a Sr. Product Manager in the Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU) team you will define, validate and communicate product vision and strategy. You have seen the power of empowered, balanced teams and believe in outcomes over output. You have strong product instincts, but more importantly have an appreciation for and understanding of lean startup, agile and user-centered design values, principles and practices. You are excited by the user and business value that technology can unlock. You thrive in a complex ecosystem, collecting, sharing and synthesising input from many directions and enabling your team to continuously deliver customer value. You believe in doing the right thing and doing what works. To learn more about Tanzu watch this video. #TeamTanzu
What You'll Be Doing
We're looking for a passionate Product Manager who knows how to help define, de-risk and execute against a product vision. This is a consulting role that demands being able to work collaboratively with clients and colleagues on cross-functional product teams. The role demands strong product instincts, excellent communication skills, technical fluency, empathy, humility and an appreciation for and understanding of lean startup, agile and user-centered design values, principles and practices.
You will be responsible for:
- Collaboratively defining and driving product strategy, vision and roadmap evangelizing to all the teams, partners and users of our platforms
- Quickly understand a specific domain and identify the trends and opportunities in that space
- Working with the team to drive product definition, design and prototyping process to discover customer problems and create valuable, desirable and feasible solutions.
- Collaboratively define and prioritize a backlog for your product that continuously delivers measurable value towards the vision
- Helping innovate and iterate on agile product management processes and share our insights
- Working at a team level with developers and designers to determine what to work on next, write and accept user stories.
- Bring clarity where there is uncertainty, manage risk and continuously deliver value.
- Define experiments, measuring success metrics and using data to inform decisions.
- Bridge business goals, user needs and feasibility as you help design and ship product
- Work closely with your team to help create positive business outcomes for our clients
- Confidently facilitate discussions with a group as large as an executive conference room, while drawing out all the voices by facilitating the right activities to get the right information
- Mentor and train client product team members on lean startup/agile XP/user-centered design methods
Create a backlog, write user stories, and manage releases
- 8+ years Product Management or similar experience, shipping products to users
- Experience navigating large organizations and an understanding of complex stakeholder relationships
- Experience building successful product teams and shipping successful products, including defining vision, strategy, outcome-driven product roadmaps and creating and managing backlogs
- Able to break down complex problems into actionable steps with measurable outcomes
- Strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to teach others
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and navigate complex decision making
- Focused on data-driven approaches to solving problems, and accelerating the learning process to validate solutions
- Ability to collaborate well with engineers, designers, and other partners
- Experience with Lean and User-Centered Design methodologies
- Experience with agile development methodology, ideally Extreme Programming
- Comfortable with ambiguity. We work in an iterative and incremental way, balancing many different inputs and constantly making trade-offs.
- Experience closely collaborating with engineers and designers as part of small co-located and remote team
- Comfort with ambiguity. We work in an iterative and incremental way, balancing many different inputs and constantly making trade-offs
This position is eligible for TanzuChallenge referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top