Senior Product Designer VMware Pivotal Labs- Bay Area
- San Francisco, CA
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware's new and exciting Modern Applications Platform Business Unit (MAPBU) team, made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications. To learn more about Tanzu watch this video. #TeamTanzu
You have strong product design instincts, and an appreciation for and understanding of lean startup, agile and user-centered design values, principles, and practices. You are excited by the mission and organizational value that technology can unlock. You thrive in a complex ecosystem, collecting, sharing, and synthesizing input from many directions and enabling your organization to continuously deliver customer value. You love building effective teams and driving excellence in practice. You are inspired by the opportunity to help customers and partners modernize their in-house software development capabilities. You bring humility, empathy, and a learning mindset to everything you do. You believe in doing the right thing and doing what works.
What you'll be doing
You will be working on the VMware Pivotal Labs San Francisco Services team, helping client product teams to design and deliver modern, business-critical, cloud-native applications serving a variety of business and user needs. As a "Labs" Product Designer, you will cross the boundaries between organizational levels, alternately coaching client product designers in user-centered design and lean UX methodologies and approaches and working with leaders of growing software practices on organizational scaling, metrics, and developing a healthy, sustainable design practice.
All of our product team positions are highly collaborative consulting roles, with 85-90% of time spent in direct, 1:1 pairing or larger team collaboration. During the COVID-19 crisis, this collaboration (including user interviews and usability tests) is all managed remotely, with the expectation that face-to-face engagement in a VMware Pivotal Labs office or various client locations will pick up again once the crisis is resolved.
You will be responsible for:
- Helping leaders on the client side to innovate and iterate on lean/agile design tools and techniques and build a healthy design practice
- Leading product design from research through implementation
- Working with the team to discover customer problems and create valuable, desirable and feasible solutions
- Maintain a user-centered approach while respecting business needs
- Bringing clarity where there is uncertainty and identifying and managing risk
- Teaching your client pair how to do all of these things for themselves
- 5-8+ years Software Product Design or similar experience, shipping products to users (enterprise or large-scale consumer products preferred)
- You are highly competent in all areas of Product Design, from user research, experience, interaction, and visual design.
- Experience building a lean/agile design team
- Able to break down complex problems into actionable steps with measurable outcomes
- Interest and ability to teach others
- Ability to expertly facilitate collaborative design activities in a workshop context
- Experience closely collaborating with engineers and product managers as part of small co-located teams
- Experience working independently with clients or stakeholders in a consulting role
- Familiarity with modern design tools such as Figma or Sketch
- 30% travel is expected in this role (post COVID-19 crisis)
What's it like to work at VMware
We believe that teams should spend more of their time delivering incremental value and less on building infrastructure. We're building platforms, tools, and automation, including Tanzu Application Service, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, and Tanzu Mission Control, to enable our customers to easily and confidently develop and run the software that powers their organization. Hundreds of companies and government agencies rely on our platform to meet the needs of millions of their customers. Our engineers embrace Extreme Programming (XP) as a way to go fast forever and deliver remarkable results. Our product designers and product managers work side-by-side with our engineers in small, empowered teams, using Lean and UCD as guides. We measure success by making our customers more productive, as product designers, product managers, and software developers. We enable our customers to build high quality products to serve their customers.
- Empower Teams - Diverse teams with shared context, psychological safety, and decision-making authority move faster.
- Start Simple - Learn just enough to begin and let the work inform the direction.
- Embrace Change - Expect change and turn it into opportunity.
- Deliver Early and Often - Ship value to users and measure impact to lower risk.
- Improve Continuously - We are always learning and humbled by what we don't know.
- Contribute to Open Source Communities - Share our time, tools, and methodologies to maximize our impact.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top