Ready to help product teams deliver great customer and user experiences? So are we. Come join VMware's new exciting Modern Applications Platform Business Unit (MAPBU - DAP), made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications. We build applications with velocity to run in a cloud-native environment, run open-source Kubernetes with consistency, and manage our customers' entire footprint with confidence to help them achieve their business outcomes. To learn more about Tanzu watch this video. #teamtanzu
As a Product Designer for VMware you will work with a globally distributed design team to apply your craft on a range of products, services, and experiments. Our culture provides the opportunity to explore the technologies we're researching and investing in. Some of your work will be functional, practical user interaction design, applied to software used by thousands of people. Other work will be speculative, generative explorations that you carry out in collaboration and partnership across the organization to flesh out, frame, and help prioritize solutions in an ever-evolving and complex problem space.
What you'll be doing
We have a number of opportunities available across DAP (Developer Application Platform), OSS (Opensource Software) as part of our Knative project and Octant; an opensource tool built for the kubernetes community. You will work closely with a cross functional team of engineers and product managers and as part of our wider centralized Design Team.
In this role, you will be responsible to:
- Lead user experience design to help solve big and complex problems from concept to delivery in an agile environment
- Continuously learn from our customers and users through generative and evaluative research, and educate your product team on research practices & UX interview techniques
- Research and synthesize user needs to help conceive, define, test and evolve solutions for our users across a range of mediums and experiences
- Verify and improve on both low and high fidelity designs through reviews, validations and formal usability testing with end users.
- Advocate for users and delivering user outcomes in a dynamic work environment
- Partner with UX team members to uphold our principles and standards
- Bring a systems-thinking lens to the conversation
- Help identify new opportunities to solve valuable customer problems
- Craft user-centered artifacts and end-to-end journeys to align teams contributing to Tanzu around the broader user experience
- Design and facilitate co-creation design workshops with the design team and cross-disciplinary partners
- Keep abreast of competitor products and industry trends
- Leader a holistic, human-centered approach to design
Who we are looking for
- You are able to define end to end workflows and able to tell simple user stories illustrating solutions
- You have experience leading and conducting user research, both generative and evaluative, through an inclusive cross-discipline process
- You navigate ambiguity through solid command of a user-centered design process
- You have excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and analytical skills
- You are a design leader, undertaking explorations into new technologies and territories while also delivering practical designs in a fast-moving product-driven context
- You are someone who sees design as a partner in shaping strategic and operational product and UX outcomes
- Your portfolio will show that you've worked on complex and challenging projects across all aspects of the design process.
What's it like to work at VMware
We believe that our customer teams should spend more of their time delivering incremental value and less on building infrastructure. We're building platforms, tools, and automation, including Tanzu Application Service, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, and Tanzu Mission Control, to enable our customers to easily and confidently develop and run the software that powers their business. Hundreds of companies rely on our platform to meet the needs of millions of their customers. Our engineers embrace Extreme Programming (XP) as a way to go fast forever and deliver remarkable results. Our product managers and product designers work side-by-side with our engineers in small, empowered teams, using Lean and User-Centered Design as guides. We measure success by making our customers more productive, as both software developers and platform operators. We spend time with our customers to understand and build empathy for the jobs that they need to get done.
This job may require the candidate to travel and/or work from a facility that requires full vaccination prior to entry.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.