Senior MTS - Performance Engineering
- Palo Alto, CA
VMware is looking for a highly-motivated individual to join the Platform Performance team to drive work on key scalability and performance challenges facing virtual platforms on-prem and in the cloud.
The management suite consists of vCenter Server (VC) and other emerging cloud management software, including VMware's integration with Kubernetes that helps customers to streamline the deployment of modern applications . As a performance engineer on this team, you will work on optimizing the end to end performance at scale for control plane workflows. This involves understanding and improving the performance of the management application and hypervisor stack. You will get the opportunity to develop performance management and diagnostic tools to measure and analyze bottlenecks and prototype improvements. You will partner closely with passionate performance engineers and developers to improve performance, author blogs and whitepapers and present technical best practices at academic and customer conferences.
- Design and deploy cloud scale environments to study performance
- Develop and automate performance measurement and data analysis tools
- Develop performance diagnostics tools in the products
- Understand the products in depth to be able to identify bottlenecks in code/design/architecture
- You will prototype and implement optimization ideas
- Publish research papers and product performance technical whitepapers
- Research next generation architectures for cloud scale performance
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- Strong programming skills in Java, and/or C/C++ and/or Java and Python scripting
- Strong Operating Systems fundamentals and Linux administration skills
- Excellent analytical, debugging, and troubleshooting skill
- Experience in performance benchmarking, analysis and optimization of distributed, multi-threaded applications in Java or C/C++
- Solid understanding of CPU, memory, network, and storage hardware and software subsystems as they relate to performance
- Proven ability to work well with others in a fast paced, iterative development environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Master degree or PhD in computer science or engineering
- Strong understanding of system architecture, including processors, storage and networking
- Expertise with application profiling tools such as Yourkit/Jprobe/xperf/zoom
- Working knowledge of database
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top