Senior Member of Technical Staff (VMware Tanzu)
- Denver, CO
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware's new exciting Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU) team, made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications. We build applications with velocity to run in a cloud-native environment, run open-source Kubernetes with consistency, and manage our customers entire footprint with confidence to help them achieve their business outcomes.
You are looking for a collaborative environment building distributed systems that enable enterprises to focus on their business rather than re-architecting a cloud platform from scratch. Pair programming has always been something that you wanted to try out.
Furthering your education has always been a goal of yours. Learning new programming languages and getting to work with Golang piques your interest.
Contributing to open source software makes you feel good about the transparency it brings to an organization's code quality.
Agile concepts are at the core of our process. We have a whole host of Practices around Test Driven Development, pair programming, team retrospectives, technical retrospectives and continuous integration. We are excited to teach these to you and innovate with you on their implementation.
We stick to a strict 8 hour a day schedule (with flexible start and end times). Although on-call rotations are part of most teams incidents are exceedingly rare.
A majority of our time is spent pairing in our Denver Office but enabling remote teamwork is becoming increasingly important. We use Slack to stay connected and Zoom for pairing. We are working hard to make sure that our distributed teams function as smoothly as our distributed systems.
You'll rarely be alone when developing; from pairing all day to 1 on 1 time with your manager, there is always a Pivot there to lend a helping hand. Mentorship from senior engineering leadership is built right into our process - you'll always be empowered.
Making an investment in each employee's professional development improves the organization as a whole. We encourage you to go to conferences or purchase those pricey O'Reilly books - and we'll give you a budget each year to do it.
As cliche as it may sound, every day is completely different from the next. We have a general framework for what our day looks like and the majority of it will be spent with your pair:
- 9:00 AM - Office-wide stand-up to build office cohesion and start the day off together.
- 9:10 AM - Team standup - discuss any blockers, choose pairs, maybe even tell a joke.
- 9:30-12:30 PM - Start pairing, tackle an open GitHub issue and open a pull-request.
- 12:30-1:30 PM - Lunch! Eat on the balcony, run an errand, or join a book club.
- 1:31-6:00 PM - Get back with your pair and start an acceptance test for a big feature.
While that schedule does look busy, don't worry - we take ample breaks throughout the day. Take a walk by the river, read a book on the balcony, play a game of ping pong, or chat with co-workers at the snack bar. Sustainable pace is held in high regard. We know there is a life outside of work, we want you to be able to spend time with family and friends. We understand that attending ballet recitals is as important as building great software.
Desired Skills/ Experience:
We know from experience that not ticking every box on the skills sections stops many from applying. You should apply regardless of your self-assessment because we want to hear from you.
- Ability to dive into a large polyglot codebase and contribute as you learn
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from learning new things
- Interest in exploring new programming paradigms, languages, and patterns
- Demonstrable ability to research problems and break them into discrete parts
Nice to Haves
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- Operations or Systems Administration experience, particularly on UNIX
- Worked with large Go/Java codebases
- Experience with React JS
- Used Test Driven Development (TDD) extensively
- Worked in a pair programming environment
- Contributed to an open source project
- Experience with log analysis, streaming data, streaming metrics
- Experience with metric analysis and visualization
- On-call experience with production grade systems
- Has mentored others in a professional setting
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top