Senior Member of Technical Staff - VMkernel I/O Hardware Team - Opportunity for Working Remotely
- Palo Alto, CA
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable very large Enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era/ A pioneer in the use of virtualization and automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
Our team of 20,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today.
In VMware's Cloud Platform Business Unit, we are working to build products and solutions that power the hybrid cloud. You will get to work with our largest customers to define the next generation of industry-leading cloud platform. You'll work with highly motivated and very smart engineers. You will drive new initiatives around software-defined data center (SDDC), streamlined delivery of SDDC components to on premise and public clouds, and explore solutions for Hyper-Converged Infrastructure market.
Job Role and Responsibility
VMkernel I/O Hardware team is part of Cloud Platform Business Unit and is responsible for enablement of emerging IO technologies in vSphere. Areas of focus include RDMA, NVMe, High Speed Ethernet and various protocol drivers. We also work very closely with VMware's ecosystem partners to enable day-0 solutions.
If you have passion for system software and low-level kernel programming, then you'll enjoy being part of this team. We are looking to bring on board engineers with experience in device drivers, kernel and user space software, with demonstrable knowledge in storage, networking and security technologies. You will build kernel modules and management software for vSphere. Interact with internal/external stakeholders and customers. Understand product requirements and drive them into product/features.
- As a hands-on device driver developer, you will enhance, debug and performance tune device drivers.
- Analyze requirements, develop automated tests and test strategies, and track defects for device drivers and IO stack in vSphere platform
- You will define and build advanced features that deliver significant impact to VMware.
- Communicate and collaborate with VMware internal teams, VMware customers and Eco-system partners.
- Be a self-starter and work independently and effectively within and across teams
In this role, you will work independently and as a member of a team of engineers developing, debugging and performance tuning hardware and protocol drivers. You will engage with partners to enable emerging technologies and advance features for vSphere. You will have the ability to work in a fast pace environment demonstrating autonomy.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent, or a BS with strong operating systems industrial experiences
- You have 7+ years of experience with low-level / kernel-level code development and have intimate knowledge of OS interfaces to hardware feature and facilities
- You have a proven track record of working on challenging system software projects, developing, debugging and performance tuning device drivers
- You are an expert in C programming language
- You have good understanding of modern x86-based or ARM processor architectures
- You have reviewed requirements, built a development plan and test strategy for the features you own
- You have strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills with ability to work independently
- You have great verbal and written communication skills
Our team looks for individuals who have a passion for system software and embody our company values of humility, collaboration, respectfulness, trustworthiness, and good-natured fun. Additionally:
- Knowledge of protocol stacks like TCP/IP, RDMA or NVMe is a plus
- Experience with system software tools like compilers/linkers, debuggers, code coverage and security tools.
- You have knowledge of modern UNIX kernels (i.e., Linux, BSD)
This position is eligible for ProjectMonterey referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top