Senior Member of Technical Staff, Secure Software Supply Chain
- Phoenix, AZ
- Los Angeles, CA
- Bloomington, IL
- Plano, TX
- Bellevue, WA
- Lone Tree, CO
- Roseburg, OR
- Midvale, UT
Senior Member of Technical Staff - Technical Lead, Secure Software Supply Chain Program
The VMware Engineering Services team ensures our internal and external customers enjoy a high-quality experience across the entire product portfolio. Our goal is to provide compelling, innovative, scalable, and seamless engineering services, which will protect VMware's brand reputation bycontinually improving customer satisfaction. We bring together key R&D functions such as build, performance, security, developer tools, and more. We work hand-in-hand with development teams to focus on product innovation and industry-leading solutions. Our priorities include investing in R&D talent, sharing best practices, and driving scale and agility in VMware products.
Job Role and Responsibility
As a Technical Lead with the Secure Software Supply Chain Program, you'll have a unique opportunity to build services and tools which help VMware secure its software supply chain. Open-Source usage is vast, and the VMware RDOSS (R&D Open Source, and Security) team is focused on end-to-end solution development to keep engineers productive while ensuring VMware is safe from legal license risk, and supply chain attacks.
These are not solved problems in the industry, and we believe they should be! Bring your development expertise to the table and help VMware make an impact on its direct business as well as the software development industry at large.
- Produce high quality designs, technical specifications, and implementation for production quality services, tools, and automation to deliver critical Open Source Security Program outcomes
- Collaborate across business units and other teams to identify optimization opportunities for new and existing technical solutions.
- Learn the VES Service Owner Framework, secure development lifecycle, as well as industry leading technology trends in the RDOSS problem space to improve your engineering and professional skills.
- You'll write code. A lot of it. We prefer expertise in Python, Go, and/or C as well as extensive experience in using Git. Bash scripting is/will be (if not already) second nature.
- The Services you develop will run in Kubernetes. The tools you develop will be cross-platform.
You'll get your hands dirty with Open Source build systems when necessary such as Autotools, CMAKE, Maven, etc., across various OS Platforms (Linux, Windows, MacOS). High value work includes dissecting Open Source projects to look for patterns in their build and release process to exploit for automation purposes.
- "Infrastructure as code" is a go-to design pattern and one we implement using Concourse. Your knowledge of CI/CD tools and processes enables quick study and adaptation to our environment.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field.
- Deep understanding of governance considerations with building and releasing container images.
- Prior experience with complex build toolchains, and cross compilation.
- Hands on experience and/or research into Secure Software Supply Chains.
- Open Source development experience rooted in community engagement and discussion.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
This role reports to John Powell, the Director of Open Source and Security tools within VMware Engineering Services. John has been with VMware for 15+ years and brings to this role more than a decade of experience in Open Source development, and integration within VMware Products and Services. Previous to leading the VES-RDOSS team John was a Staff Engineer collaborating across Business Units solving problems in the Open Source domain. John's management style is that of a coach enabling each team member to realize their full potential through independent thinking, constructive feedback, and measured objectives. The team comprises 30+ developers across 3 major geographies. We are a global team! Our scope is broad across the complete Software Development Lifecycle with a focus on Securing the Software Supply chain.
For positions located in Colorado: The base salary range is Min $105000 - $179000. Bonus, commission, and/or equity may be eligible for this position. Additional benefits for this position can be found at https://benefits.vmware.com/. *Note: Disclosure of Colorado pay and benefits required per sb19-1430
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top