VMware Telco & Edge Cloud Business Unit is looking for a highly motivated Senior Member of Technical Staff to join a growing team that is building a real-time intelligent controller for 5G mobile RAN. With the disaggregation of the mobile RAN, there is a tremendous opportunity to accelerate innovation in the RAN control plane. In this role, you will be designing 5G RAN controller algorithms and interfaces, pushing the limits of 5G RAN intelligence and building a product that is envisioned to disrupt the telecom industry.
- Design 5G RAN controller algorithms and interfaces, develop software and optimize them for performance.
- Work collaboratively with the engineering team to make the software reliable, scalable and secure.
- Work collaboratively with the product management and solution architecture teams to develop and package a production-grade solution.
- Work with specifications provided by, and draft contributions for, standards bodies such as 3GPP, O-RAN, etc.
- Support integration with vendor partner ecosystem.
- Support trial and deployment in customers' networks.
- Document design and best practices while developing and deploying product solutions.
- Work in an agile development environment while continuously evaluating and improving engineering processes.
- PhD with 2+ years of experience, or MS with 5+ years of experience, in RAN algorithms and software
- Solid fundamentals in 5G RAN including L1-L3 stack
- At least 2 years of hands-on experience with LTE/NR traces and/or interfaces
- Strong experience with at least one of C/C++, Go, Java, and ability to pick up others as needed
- Strong software engineering fundamentals including writing production-grade code, testing and debugging
- Hands-on experience with optimizing software for performance
- Experience with working in fast-paced environment
- Highly motivated team player
Good to have
- Experience with working with 3GPP/O-RAN standards
- Experience with implementing interfaces, e.g., using gRPC, REST APIs, TCP/SCTP, etc.
- Experience with handling data encoding/serialization formats, e.g., ASN.1, protobuf, JSON, etc.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.