Senior Member of Technical Staff, Performance Engineer (Kernel & Workload Mobility)
- Palo Alto, CA
VMware Engineering Services team makes sure our customers enjoy a high-quality experience across the entire product portfolio. Our goal is to protect the company's brand reputation by continually improving customer satisfaction. We bring together key R&D functions such as performance, security, and release management, which frees up R&D business units to focus on product innovation. Our priorities include investing in R&D talent, sharing best practices, and driving scale and agility in VMware products.
Are you interested in expanding your R&D skills and experience in ways few jobs can? Join our team, and you'll help deliver game-changing solutions across business units and product lines. Our team members also work with outside companies, build new contacts, and take part in industry-wide conferences and committees.
Are you looking for the opportunity to help revolutionize IT security? We invite you to join our tightly knit team that's driven to quickly deliver top-quality solutions to this pressing industry problem. You'll boost your career by working on cutting-edge innovations in the cloud, security, networking, SD-WAN, and container spaces.
Job Role and Responsibility
In this role, you'll join the vSphere Core Platform Performance team as a Senior Member of Technical Staff to focus on performance. You'll bring your passion and expertise in kernel optimization and multiple-component full-stack performance analysis to solve problems all the way down to the microprocessor level. You'll optimize the design and implementation of VMWare's core components to deliver maximum performance, work on the ESX kernel, the virtual machine monitor, and workload mobility features, as well as with the latest CPU, GPU, storage, and networking technologies.
- Analyze performance and scalability across a variety of configurations and workloads, with a focus on core system performance -- CPU scheduling, memory management, multiprocessing, etc.
- Identify bottlenecks and optimization opportunities, devise algorithms or code changes to maximize performance. Collaborate with other engineers on product design and architecture to ensure performance and scalability of new features and workflows.
- Specify performance evaluation criteria, requirements, and measurement methodology.
- Choose workloads or design experiments to uncover problems in common and uncommon use cases and configurations.
- Troubleshoot and debug performance problems that involve multiple components and the entire stack (hardware, microcode, hypervisor, guest OS, applications, networking, storage, etc.)
- Effectively present data, conclusions, and recommendations. Be able to excite and persuade both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Author patents, papers, presentations, or blogs. Optionally, present at academic and industry conferences.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- Solid understanding of microprocessors, computer architecture (cache and TLB design, instruction set architecture), and operating system internals (virtual memory management, scheduling).
- Expertise with performance analysis & optimization
- Competent in reading and writing C or C++
- Good analytical skills, can look at data, spot problems, and draw conclusions
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Virtualization, networking, and SaaS performance experience
- Kernel development experience a strong plus
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top