Senior Member of Technical Staff - NSX
- Palo Alto, CA
What does NSBU Platform Engineering do?
NSBU Platform Engineering is responsible for building foundation of NSX. This includes enabling networking management, control and data planes to elastically scale independently to meet our customer's requirements. This includes among other things:
- Services, frameworks, libraries, and tools
- Infrastructure-building blocks like distributed and embedded datastores, distributed messaging, monitoring, alerting, logging infrastructure
- Runtime Infrastructure for both the distributed/host-based agents as well as central appliance
- Build and Deployment Infrastructure
- System's LifeCycle Management, process supervision model, fate sharing
- Development and deployment processes, Engineering best practices
We're responsible for a large and critical surface area and need to continually raise the bar on system and developer efficiency. You will be a key contributor to this success story with a strong focus on systemperformancewhether at the host-level or at the appliance-level. The NSX appliance is designed to run as a distributed system-of-systems that runs together in a central cluster of machines responsible for the SDN's management and central control planes. The data plane is distributed and runs on the workload hosts which are supported for many platform flavors (esx, kvm, bare-metal, vm or containers, on-prem or cloud) and can number in the tens of thousands. With over 4000 customers planned to migrate from the older NSX version to this new platform, we are looking for outstanding engineers who can bring their distributed systems experience to help us scale NSX.
You'll be responsible for working collaboratively with teams within platform engineering and other application and vertical teams across NSBU for:
- develop distributed compute and database clustering framework to scale out networking services
- develop service-oriented architecture for control and management plane of NSX
- tuning distributed system'sperformanceby identifying and eliminating bottlenecks wherever they exist in the stack
- evangelizing software developmentbest practices and guidelines for engineers via brown bags and talks
- helping with customer escalations fromplatformperspective
- working with management to help createplatform roadmap for NSX
You're a collaborative and hands-on engineer and have:
- BS/MS with 14+ years of industry experience
- 6+ years of experience ondeveloping infrastructure for distributed system
- Hands on experience developing service clustering infrastructure
- Strong programming skills in Java and/or C++- It is a big plus to have in depth knowledge of any one of the opensource technologies for database and messaging like GRPC, Kafka, RabitMQ, BerkleyDb, Hadoop
- Experience building service-oriented architecture using Kubernetes is a big plus- Data structures, algorithms, multithreading, operating system internals
We are anequalopportunityemployer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top