Senior Member of Technical Staff
- Los Angeles, CA
The VMware Engineering Services team ensures our internal and external customers enjoy a high-quality experience across the entire product portfolio. Our goal is to provide compelling, innovative, scalable, and seamless engineering services, which will protect VMware's brand reputation by continually improving customer satisfaction. We bring together key R&D functions such as build, performance, security, release management (and more), which frees up R&D business units to focus on product innovation. Our priorities include investing in R&D talent, sharing best practices, and driving scale and agility in VMware products.
Job Role and Responsibility
The vSphere Core Performance team optimizes the design and implementation of VMWare's core operating system components to deliver maximum performance under a variety of new and emerging workloads. We are looking for an enthusiastic software engineer with expertise in deep performance analysis of complex multi-client multi-host multi-module software systems and applications.
- Own and drive performance improvements for multiple areas or features.
- Work with customers, partners, and do independent research to fully understand a complex application or workload. Identify critical workflows and performance requirements.
- Design a performance optimization plan. Specify performance evaluation criteria and measurement methodology. Scope, prioritize, and sequence performance characterization and analysis tasks.
- Design experiments to uncover problems in common and uncommon use cases and configurations.
- Analyze performance data from hardware counters, performance tools, custom experiments, microbenchmarks, and application benchmarks.
- Identify bottlenecks and optimization opportunities, devise algorithms or code changes to maximize performance on both virtual and real computer hardware.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other engineers on product design and architecture to ensure performance and scalability of new features and workflows.
- Troubleshoot and debug performance problems that involve multiple components and the entire stack (hardware, microcode, hypervisor, guest OS, device drivers, networking, storage, applications, etc.)
- Effectively present data, conclusions, and recommendations. Be able to excite and persuade both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Author patents, papers, presentations, or blogs. Optionally, present at academic and industry conferences.
Proficient at performance analysis of complex multi-client multi-host multi-module software systems
- Experience with database management systems and ERP/BI/EMR/EHR application deployment/troubleshooting
- Solid understanding of modern Intel and AMD x86-based CPU architectures and large-scale multi-socket systems
- Solid understanding of computer system architecture (memory hierarchy, memory address translations, interrupts, memory-mapped IO, NUMA, etc) and performance implications
- Ability to exercise good judgement and operate independently
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and coordination skills
- Bachelor's in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field.
- Competent in C code analysis and debugging multi-threaded programs
- Kernel development experience, especially in areas of memory management and CPU scheduling
- Experience or certification in Oracle RDBMS, Microsoft SQL, Epic Systems, or SAP Hana
- Solid understanding of virtualization technology
- Experience with multiple virtualization environments (vSphere, Xen, Hyper-V, KVM, etc)
- Proficient at Python or shell scripting Ability to learn new technologies or product areas quickly
- Masters or PhD strongly preferred
Back to top